Where the energy goes?

I was wondering 🤔  one day and came up to a question 'where does all the energy goes?' For e.g. I hit a football so in that scenario I transfer my energy to the ball, now the ball strikes the ground, my first doubt is 'so where is the energy now? Is it in the ball or has the energy transfered to the ground. If the energy transfered into the ground then how much energy ground can store because then there will be humongous amount of energy transformation through football on the ground. Or if the ball stores the energy, so when other person also hit it then at what limit can the ball hold the energy'. I'm genuinely confused. I might be missing some basic concepts in this problem, but it would be definitely great to interact with fellow science geeks

It typically ends up heating the material in the vicinity.

If you dropped 1 kg mass a distance of a little over 40 cm, it would transfer ~4 joules of energy. If the impact was on a 1 liter container of water, it would raise the temperature by about 0.001 degrees C (heat capacity of water is 4.186 J/gK, and there are 1000g of water per liter)

That’s not a big temperature increase, nor does the situation you describe involve a humongous amount of energy. But you could scale this result according to whatever details you want to. Hitting the ground will involve a smaller heat capacity but a larger mass. 

2 hours ago, HemantChauhan07 said:

I was wondering 🤔  one day and came up to a question 'where does all the energy goes?' For e.g. I hit a football so in that scenario I transfer my energy to the ball, now the ball strikes the ground, my first doubt is 'so where is the energy now? Is it in the ball or has the energy transfered to the ground. If the energy transfered into the ground then how much energy ground can store because then there will be humongous amount of energy transformation through football on the ground. Or if the ball stores the energy, so when other person also hit it then at what limit can the ball hold the energy'. I'm genuinely confused. I might be missing some basic concepts in this problem, but it would be definitely great to interact with fellow science geeks

Energy doesn't 'go anywhere'.

It is converted from one form of energy to another.

Have you studied the different forms of energy ?

Swansont mentioned using the energy from falling weights, like your ball.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

If you dropped 1 kg mass a distance of a little over 40 cm, it would transfer ~4 joules of energy. If the impact was on a 1 liter container of water, it would raise the temperature by about 0.001 degrees C (heat capacity of water is 4.186 J/gK, and there are 1000g of water per liter)

It may interest you to know that this was the experiment that kicked off the whole science of energy.
So it was a good question of yours.

The experiment was carried out by one James Joule, for whom the unit of energy is named.

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2022-joules-mechanical-equivalent-of-heat-a-conversion-factor

itemeditorimage_63a3c3d7ed69b.thumb.webp.9f20321725780c1be8d30c9be2fbb1cb.webp

We did a simplified experiment like this in school by putting lead shot into the bottom of a tube and turning it upside down over and over again and then measuring the temperature rise in the tube.

This was called an experiment to measure the mechanical equivalent of heat.

Edited by studiot