Looking for a mechanism to vary a conductor lenght...

Externet

Greetings.

Am trying to come up with a mechanism (manual or motorized) that can vary the electrical length of a conductor.  Have some pending attempts to try and would like your suggestions.

image.thumb.jpeg.3da085a3d7d45d75c67f1691ea79c6f1.jpeg

A circular electric conductor has its end terminals A and B at fixed positions.  Need some way to vary the electrical conductive length from A to B in a 1:10 ratio.  Like from 10cm retracted, to 100 cm. expanded circumference. (varying its diametre)

The ideal would be telescopic elements that do not exist in curved shape.  How would you do it ?  🤔   Thanks.

image.jpeg.063f545f0d94fe68c6c32d07d4c2ec46.jpeg

Stainless Steel SAE Size 64 Worm Gear Hose Clamp 2.48 Minimum Diameter 4.50  Maximum Diameter - Kartek Off-Road

3 hours ago, Externet said:

Greetings.

Am trying to come up with a mechanism (manual or motorized) that can vary the electrical length of a conductor.  Have some pending attempts to try and would like your suggestions.

image.thumb.jpeg.3da085a3d7d45d75c67f1691ea79c6f1.jpeg

A circular electric conductor has its end terminals A and B at fixed positions.  Need some way to vary the electrical conductive length from A to B in a 1:10 ratio.  Like from 10cm retracted, to 100 cm. expanded circumference. (varying its diametre)

The ideal would be telescopic elements that do not exist in curved shape.  How would you do it ?  🤔   Thanks.

Utilize a liquid electrical conductor like mercury?

Edited by Steve81

7 hours ago, Externet said:

I'm not clear on exactly what you want to do.

What do you mean by 'electrically conductive length' ?

If, as you say, A and B are at fixed locations, and you wish to provide a current path from A to B a curve is the only way to provide variation.

Are you aware of the difference between rheostats, potentiometers and variable resistors and their connections ?

Edited by studiot

• 3 months later...

I'm assuming you mean vary conductor length (for an analog circuit? RF?) WITHOUT impacting the amount of added resistance per unit of distance?

Does it have to be the exact same conductor or is it enough for the point of origin/destination to be the same?

If not then perhaps look into rotary selector switches, I believe these can be made to effectively vary conductor length (for the part of the circuitry they connect to/from) if designed/chosen properly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Scientia es potentia.