Why "even light"?

Genady

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

Thank you. However, it is significantly different from the topic of our discussion, because they actually presented the processes in question, i.e., oxidation-reduction and electrolysis, rather than demonstrated them with a fake imitation, like a trampoline demonstration of black hole:

Well I doubt I’m going to find a study quite that specific. But, as @Janusjust noted, the trampoline is an analogy that’s easier to visualize. Perfect, perhaps not. But students clearly like demonstration based learning based on the survey results, and it does drive interest.

Edited by Steve81

1 minute ago, Steve81 said:

Well I doubt I’m going to find a study quite that specific. But, as @Janusjust noted, the trampoline is an analogy that’s easier to visualize. Perfect, perhaps not. But students clearly like demonstrative learning based on the survey results.

My point is presentation vs imitation.

Trampoline is not an analogy, but an actual presentation of a non-Euclidean geometry. But not of a black hole. For one, trampoline presents a non-Euclidean geometry of space, but for GR it is essential that the geometry has to be that of spacetime.

BTW, for visual presentation of non-Euclidean geometry I recommend the following book - many examples and good illustrations: Visual Differential Geometry and Forms: A Mathematical Drama in Five Acts: Needham, Tristan: 9780691203706: Amazon.com: Books

2 minutes ago, Genady said:

Trampoline is not an analogy, but an actual presentation of a non-Euclidean geometry. But not of a black hole. For one, trampoline presents a non-Euclidean geometry of space, but for GR it is essential that the geometry has to be that of spacetime.

BTW, for visual presentation of non-Euclidean geometry I recommend the following book - many examples and good illustrations: Visual Differential Geometry and Forms: A Mathematical Drama in Five Acts: Needham, Tristan: 9780691203706: Amazon.com: Books

My point is imitation may be the best demonstration we can do, unless you have another idea to represent a black hole for students in a classroom?

Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ll put it on my list.

1 minute ago, Steve81 said:

My point is imitation may be the best demonstration we can do, unless you have another idea to represent a black hole for students in a classroom?

Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ll put it on my list.

The only idea I have so far is a good computer animation.

13 hours ago, Genady said:

Thanks for both your comments about the trampoline and reminding me og that book.

I looked it up again and this time found a sensibly priced version.

+1