Collecting, preparing, conditioning tomato seeds...

Externet

Good day.

Done it many different ways year after year, bought seeds, extracted my own, dried, fermented, raw,... would like to know differences when removing the germination impairing gelatinous tissue around the seeds.

Fermenting the seeds creates a mold on them that decomposes the germination impairing 'gelatin.  Washing later, leaves clean seeds ready to dry them.

Now, can that mold residue cause later illness of the growing plant ?   Is my method of only brushing the extracted seeds in a sieve producing the same effect ?  Also, some occasions seeds were planted before the drying stage.  Is drying mandatory ?  What differs ? 

3 hours ago, Externet said:

Now, can that mold residue cause later illness of the growing plant ?   Is my method of only brushing the extracted seeds in a sieve producing the same effect ?  Also, some occasions seeds were planted before the drying stage.  Is drying mandatory ?  What differs ? 

I've never done anything but collect them off the cutting board into a tea sieve (small, not too fine a mesh) an rubbing gently under cold water until they feel clean to the touch. Then I tap them out onto a coffee filter and air-dry. After a few days, I put them into a re-labelled medicine vial - good recycle and just the right size, since I grow up to a dozen varieties each year. 

I've never had germination problems with heritage strains. I usually try sprouting a few between blotters before I do the March planting. 

I haven't tried planting wet seed, but a friend said her father - this would be back in the 1930's and 40's - used to start his by putting a whole ripe tomato in a can of damp soil and divide the seedlings when they were big enough. 

Strictly anecdotal, fwiw.

37 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

I've never had germination problems with heritage strains.

They are more likely to give good results. If you try to save seeds from supermarket tomatoes, or shop bought seeds, you might have an F1 hybrid, which is likely to produce infertile seeds. It's a while since I dabbled so I can't remember if tomatoes were problematic in that regard, but quite a lot of seeds are, so it pays to get seeds from people who have been saving seeds for a while. 

If you buy seeds, it usually says on the packet, if seeds are F1 hybrids, but I wouldn't rely on it, if it doesn't mention it. 

46 minutes ago, mistermack said:

They are more likely to give good results. If you try to save seeds from supermarket tomatoes, or shop bought seeds, you might have an F1 hybrid, which is likely to produce infertile seeds.

They're pretty much all hybrids, so I don't even try to plant them anymore. I did try a few times: leggy, weedy plants and no fruit is the common result. I grow nothing but heirloom varieties now. Cherokee Purple, Banana Legs, Striped German, Green Zebra are favourites; also Valencia, one of the Romas and usually a mix of cherries every year.

My usual suppliers, when I do buy seed are OSC or Vesey's open pollinated stock, or Heritage Harvest - pricey as to seed, but cheap delivery. (rarely the big mass-produced ones that show up in Walmart and everywhere. Berton is pretty good, though.)      

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,,

It's Ramzan here. You know I've been down the same rabbit hole with seeds too,, There's something so fulfilling about nurturing a plant from a tiny seed to full bloom. That gelatinous sac you mentioned has given me both fascination and frustration. Here are some thoughts based on my experiences and research:

Fermentation: Yes, the mold that develops during fermentation does break down the gelatinous coating, which contains natural germination inhibitors. As for the mold residue causing illness in the growing plant - I haven't personally observed this in my plants. In nature, fruits fall to the ground, rot, and the seeds germinate. This is essentially a natural fermentation process. So in theory, plants should have evolved to handle this without adverse effects. However, ensuring the seeds are well-cleaned post-fermentation can never hurt!

Brushing in a Sieve: I've tried this method too! While it does remove the gel, it might not be as effective in breaking down the germination inhibitors as fermentation. But I've had seeds sprout this way, so it definitely works to some extent. The main difference might be in the germination rate or speed.

Drying: Drying isn't strictly mandatory. Seeds in nature often sprout without a drying phase. However, drying can help in storing seeds for longer periods without the risk of mold or decay. If you're sowing immediately, you can skip the drying phase. But if you're planning to store them, I'd recommend drying to maintain seed viability. One thing I've noticed is that dried seeds might take a bit longer to germinate compared to fresh ones, possibly due to the added step of rehydration.

In the end, the magic of gardening is that there's always something new to learn and a myriad of methods to try. Each gardener ends up developing their unique "green thumb" recipe through trial and error. Would love to hear more about what you discover in your seed adventures!

Keep growing,
Ramzan 🌱🌼🌍

Edited by ramzanalvi2991