the recently-added full page ad walls that slam down

Any possibility these nuisance ads could be eliminated?  Banner ads are okay, but this new format makes for a pretty rude interruption.  How can any advertizer, seeing what type of website this is,  imagine we would respond to these in a positive way?  

29 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Any possibility these nuisance ads could be eliminated?  Banner ads are okay, but this new format makes for a pretty rude interruption.  How can any advertizer, seeing what type of website this is,  imagine we would respond to these in a positive way?  

Sadly this is now also a feature of another forum I subscribe to. But I agree. The notion that shoving the ads in your face, when you are in the middle of following a train of discussion, will make you come under the influence and buy something, seems absurd to the point of offensive.

However I feel sure the response will be that it's a feature of the site software that's considered essential to the moneymaking side of the site.  As they say in The Right Stuff, "Know what makes this bird go up? Funding makes this bird go up." So it may be a price we users have to pay.

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

Any possibility these nuisance ads could be eliminated?

It's very simple - eliminate all humans from this planet..

I can do it today if you pray enough..

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

How can any advertizer, seeing what type of website this is,  imagine we would respond to these in a positive way?  

They have no idea about how their ads will appear..

The most annoying ads are "video ads".. when you have LTE or older, metered connection..

In the case of unmetered fiber-optic Internet connection, it is simply annoying (due to the sound appearing out of nowhere)..

in the case of metered mobile connection, money is lost every time an advertisement is displayed..

I've started writing a Firefox/Chrome plug-in that will find and remove "video" tags from websites I view..

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

You could sell that.

Not really. Source codes for web browser extensions are publicly available.

Write your own within 5 minutes (just copy'n'paste for a start):

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Your_first_WebExtension

This is working example:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Your_second_WebExtension

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

But... how would you advertise it?

...not in the video tag displayed on every web page...?

ps. Paid Internet ads are for people who do not have a database of "all" the inhabitants of this planet who have Internet access..

Once you have the first sample extension on disk, to remove the video (or any other) tags, simply use the:

var elements = document.getElementsByTagName( 'video' );

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Element/getElementsByTagName

Then iterate through the all elements and disable, replace them, or alter them..

So the video tag no longer works... This way you don't waste the measured broadband connection..

Edited by Sensei

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

It's very simple - eliminate all humans from this planet..

These ads were not on SFN up until around May 2023.  And the planet had a large human population back then, as it does now.

😀

It would seem to me that the site owner made some sort of choice to add these new full page-blocking ads, i.e. it didn't just happen spontaneously.  Maybe my question should be what would it cost to not have them.  

4 minutes ago, TheVat said:

These ads were not on SFN up until around May 2023.  And the planet had a large human population back then, as it does now.

Doomsday delayed then.. crap.. *sigh*..

6 minutes ago, TheVat said:

It would seem to me that the site owner made some sort of choice to add these new full page-blocking ads, i.e. it didn't just happen spontaneously.  Maybe my question should be what would it cost to not have them.  

Kickstarter, or so, fundraising to ensure they have enough money to maintain their servers.. ?

@TheVat

Depends on bandwidth required, and space required. If you ask me, I would say, 12 USD per year is needed for the cheapest VPS with 20 GB space, and 21 USD for .net domain..

..but people (i.e. admins/owners/programmers) are getting used to it.. and don't want to switch from an inferior option to a better one because it costs them "work" (moving data from X to Y server)..

Edited by Sensei

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

..but people (i.e. admins/owners/programmers) are getting used to it.. and don't want to switch from an inferior option to a better one because it costs them "work" (moving data from X to Y server)..

C:\Users\Sensei>nslookup scienceforums.net
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.43.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    scienceforums.net
Addresses:  2a01:a500:512:1:5c1:d0e5:17:be57

https://ipinfo.io/94.229.79.58

Summary
ASN 	AS42831 - UK Dedicated Servers Limited
Hostname 	xyloid.org
Range 	94.229.64.0/20
Company 	UK Dedicated Servers Limited
Hosted domains 	10
Privacy 	True
Anycast 	False
ASN type 	Hosting
Abuse contact 	abuse@ukservers.com

Hosted Domains API
scienceforums.net
moxey.uk
refsmmat.com
nekmesh.info
davidmoxey.uk
xyloid.org
holyspiritsouthway.org.uk
statisticsd

https://www.google.com/search?q=UK+Dedicated+Servers+Limited

https://www.ukservers.com/

They want 49 UKP/month = ~ 63 USD for dedicated Linux servers.

63 USD/m * 12 y/m = 756 USD/y + (domain) ~ 20-40 USD/y = ~ 800 USD/y

So, from the ads published on scienceforums.net, it seems that they need to get at least ~ 2000 USD/year or so, to come out at zero.. (Google costs+VAT)

If you ask me, $50 a year is needed, not $800 a year, but Dave has more stuff on that dedicated server, which makes him more reluctant to give it up (especially when IT guys earn 5-10x more than a regular people)..

https://www.informer.ws/whois/scienceforums.net

ps. In September you need to remember about the domain. October is the expiration date.. It is ALWAYS forgotten..

Make alarm in smartphone.. It is 20-50 USD or so saved year by year..

Edited by Sensei