making hydrogen peroxide

Halash

how do i make hydrogen peroxide? i can't buy 90% hydrogen peroxide solutions becuase i can't find them. the only thing they sell at drug stores is 3% solution. does anyone know how to make it or make a high concentration???????????

You can get a higher concetration by destilation. But I agree with Budullewraagh it is better if you buy it. You can only try to do this if you have 5 years or more of experience in chemistry with laboratory practices! If you do try to please to make the concentration higher then 30-35%(for your sake!)

i wouldnt distill it for fear of runaway decomposition. try freezing it and pouring off the liquid as a more concentrated H2O2 solution.

what could you use it for? eh, 90% on an AgNO3 catalyst makes for a beastly rocket fuel. H2O2 is also used in certain organic peroxides and peroxyacids :\

dont make any of the above, really

H2O2 of that composition is also a very potent oxidizer, and it will catalytically decompose at the slight presence of an iodide salt, any trace of transition metals, etc. etc. When it decomposes, it does so with a great amount of heat and the oxygen and water that results from the decomposition will cause a lot of damage. The elevated temperatures will cause anything in its path to instantly ignite from all the freed oxygen, and the high temperature steam will cause nasty burns to human flesh in addition to the burning from the oxygen.

Indeed, freezing out some ice and keeping the liquid is a fairly good way of concentrating. If you start with 100 ml and you allow 60 to 70 ml of to freeze, then the remaining liquid has somewhere between 6 and 8% of H2O2. I did this once and it works fairly well. It is said you can go up to 20 or 30% with this method, when repeated a few times, but I have no experience with this. However, as others stated, going beyond approximately 30% is not a wise thing to do. It is incredibly dangerous.

what could you use it for? eh, 90% on an AgNO3 catalyst makes for a beastly rocket fuel.

actualy that`s Exactly what it Is used for in these strap on one man Rocket belt packs :)

IIRC, it`s also used in conjunction with Hydrazine to make liquid fuel rockets too.

The only way I know is:

barium carbonate (rat poison btw watch your self)

heat this at 1300C to remove the carbon dioxide.

This should leave Barium peroxide

Add this to sulphuric acid and the barium will drop out as barium sulphate.

The remaining soln will be H2O2. :)

But that is a high temp, I've cooked calcium carbonate over 850C and that wasnt an easy thing to do, (but I'm not sure if that was the rock I used) but 1300C is high for the ervyday guy.

But this can be done using a charcoal funace, :D

rat poison? aren`t they usualy Coumarin/Warfarin based nowadays?

I can`t say I`ve EVER seen barium carbonate based ones before, where did you get it and what brand name is it under, I want some :)

(might be cheaper than going to Pottery shops and buying the glase)

distilling h2o2 isnt that bad really and it doesnt even get that high of a conctration, no higher than 30%. freezinbg it sucks tho. like 95% of all the actual h2o2 gets trapped in the ice itself. it doesnt like magically ooze out. ya distilling is more effective than freeezing.

rat poison? aren`t they usualy Coumarin/Warfarin based nowadays?

I can`t say I`ve EVER seen barium carbonate based ones before' date=' where did you get it and what brand name is it under, I want some :)

(might be cheaper than going to Pottery shops and buying the glase)[/quote']

Yeah I've read that its used in rat poison, maybe the old stuff.

But I got it pur form (well I dont know how pure)

A while back I found a great website with alot of stuff on it cheap ish.

I got 1kg of barium barbonate along with some ironoixde and some dextrin (that binding agent).

I've not used any in the last year,

Is there any good uses?

I feel a trade coming on, :P

Shame the website's gone, :( maybr due to UK terror laws etc, lol.

well with the barium and the dextrin if you use some potassium chlorate in the mix, you`ll be able to make some Green Stars :)

if you get hold of some strontium salts you can make the Red ones and Sodium salts will make the Yellow ones.

from there you can make your own "Traffic lights" fireworks :)

well with the barium and the dextrin if you use some potassium chlorate in the mix' date=' you`ll be able to make some Green Stars :)

if you get hold of some strontium salts you can make the Red ones and Sodium salts will make the Yellow ones.

from there you can make your own "Traffic lights" fireworks :)[/quote']

I think it has to be barium chloride, I've tried my nitrate and thats more of a white green, mostly white.

But carbonate, didnt know that would oxidize.

Yeah I know its due to that, but how come Barium nitrate gives such a bad green?

I've read there is away to make it green but you must have chlorine in there some where, its something between them 2 elements i think, :P

I dont know but know Barium nitrate doesnt work for toffee

the carbonate will work for the green, the chlorine donor just intensifies the color (that`s why they use powdered PVC in some compositions), any way, it wouldn`t take you more than a minute to make a batch of barium chloride from the carbonate with some HCl :)

again, be carefull all soluble barium compounds are toxic.

the carbonate will work for the green' date=' the chlorine donor just intensifies the color (that`s why they use powdered PVC in some compositions), any way, it wouldn`t take you more than a minute to make a batch of barium chloride from the carbonate with some HCl :)

again, be carefull all soluble barium compounds are toxic.[/quote']

Yeah true, but you get what I was trying to say about the chlorine?

:D

lol.

I've got to get my self some HCl, well I will once I move and stock up, yes sir..eeeee.