Re: Magnesium bisglycinate + citric acid = ?

ivan.novak

3 hours ago, ivan.novak said:

Hello,
I have a question or two that I need help with:
What happens when you put magnesium bisglycinate and citric acid into water solution?
Does magnesium change form here?

Kind regards,
IN

At neutral pH, glycine in solution is mainly present as a zwitterion: NH3⁺-COO⁻. So I think what will happen when you dissolve the glycinate: NH2-COO⁻, is it will pick up 2 protons from citric acid to form NH3⁺-COOH, leaving you with citrate and/or hydrogen citrates, depending on the relative amounts of citrate and glycinate (Citric acid is tribasic so it can release up to 3 protons, depending on the relative pKa s - or pKb s if you prefer - of both it and the other species around.) 

Mg²⁺ in solution will be present as a solvated cation anyway, so it won't be affected by any of this.  

Edited by exchemist

• 4 months later...

I think this one sets to a cement too,  but I dont know.  But with calcium its probably better,  but either way I dont know how firm it sets, but with that citric acid there, it may increase setting power for the cement.

Edited by glueboy