Genady like puzzles

Since I stumbled badly over @Genady shape puzzle, I thought I would dig out this old Victorian number puzzle for him

Some here will have seen this one before.

Unfortunately I have lost all of the digits except one so I wonder if he can help ?

It is a simple long division, presented the English way  with the result (quotient) on top. 

That is a six digit dividend divided by a three digit divisor on the left.

There is no remainder.

(I believe that some Americans put the  quotient on the right not above as I have done).

The grid paper is simply there to correctly align the digits.

longdivision.jpg.820757ecd2d0ac7eb0846e7549ea52d9.jpg

39 minutes ago, studiot said:

Since I stumbled badly over @Genady shape puzzle, I thought I would dig out this old Victorian number puzzle for him

Some here will have seen this one before.

Unfortunately I have lost all of the digits except one so I wonder if he can help ?

It is a simple long division, presented the English way  with the result (quotient) on top. 

That is a six digit dividend divided by a three digit divisor on the left.

There is no remainder.

(I believe that some Americans put the  quotient on the right not above as I have done).

The grid paper is simply there to correctly align the digits.

longdivision.jpg.820757ecd2d0ac7eb0846e7549ea52d9.jpg

Thank you.

I understand that

xxx * 7xx = xxxxxx

but I don't know what other information, if any, it gives me, because the Russian way of long division, which I did in school, was quite different:

DIVIDE THE NUMBERS [RUSSIAN STYLE] - WITH REMAINDER explained by Photomath - YouTube

(I assume that the x's are just placeholders.)

21 hours ago, Genady said:

Thank you.

I understand that

xxx * 7xx = xxxxxx

but I don't know what other information, if any, it gives me, because the Russian way of long division, which I did in school, was quite different:

DIVIDE THE NUMBERS [RUSSIAN STYLE] - WITH REMAINDER explained by Photomath - YouTube

(I assume that the x's are just placeholders.)

I would not hlike to solve this using 'russian multiplication or division.

Incidentally this method goes back at least as far as the Babylonians.

You assessment is correct call it ABC * 7EF  = GHIJKL  if you don't like the X 's

If you work through the usual western division the position of the 7 is important and enables the logical deduction of all the digits.

We can do this if you are interested.