Is there a shining star of all crops ? [agriculture]

Externet

Good day. 

What single crop could be cultivated to provide humanity an emergency substantial and reasonably balanced diet by itself, as if critical climate changes prevented variety of foods to be produced some day ?   

Some root, tuber, grain, legumes, leaves, beans... ?  

1 hour ago, Externet said:

Good day. 

What single crop could be cultivated to provide humanity an emergency substantial and reasonably balanced diet by itself, as if critical climate changes prevented variety of foods to be produced some day ?   

Some root, tuber, grain, legumes, leaves, beans... ?  

Monocrop farming is not recommended. I would think alternating between legumes and grains (depends on the climate where the grower is for types) is the best bet.

2 hours ago, Externet said:

What single crop could be cultivated to provide humanity an emergency substantial and reasonably balanced diet by itself,

..that would have to be GMO..

2 hours ago, Externet said:

as if critical climate changes prevented variety of foods to be produced some day ?   

..crops are not very efficient food sources..

There's a reason aliens are "green".. They've simply inserted vegetable genes into their own genome, which means they need to be exposed to "sunbath", with H2O, C2O and nutrients to ensure they have enough food..

1 hour ago, npts2020 said:

Monocrop farming is not recommended. I would think alternating between legumes and grains (depends on the climate where the grower is for types) is the best bet.

..monocrop farming is not recommended if you have no external source of nutrients.. i.e. such farm is exhausting natural nutrients provided by the air with water (thunderstorms with NOx).. Thus crop rotation was "invented"..

External sources of fertilizer make monoculture etc.. redundants.. even to the level that even soil is not needed.. i.e. hydroponic..

(How much soil do you have on the ISS space station?)

Edited by Sensei

22 hours ago, Sensei said:

External sources of fertilizer make monoculture etc.. redundants.. even to the level that even soil is not needed.. i.e. hydroponic..

Problem is "getting enough external sources of fertilizer" without causing a host of other problems and I don't see hydroponics replacing dirt farming anytime soon for  many crops.