Dutch citizenship?

Genady

9 minutes ago, Genady said:

It turned out that I am eligible for the Dutch citizenship. I know a reason not to apply for it, but in case I am missing something, is there a reason to apply for it?

If you're asking for the safest option, ask again tomorrow... 

8 minutes ago, Genady said:

It turned out that I am eligible for the Dutch citizenship. I know a reason not to apply for it, but in case I am missing something, is there a reason to apply for it?

EU citizenship, if you do not already have it, is definitely worth having. But I think they have quite tough requirements for fluency in Dutch, familiarity with Dutch customs etc. But you may already speak it of course, living where you do. 

Bonaire is a polyglot society.  If 3/4 of citizens have Papiamento as their main language, are they expected to know sufficient Dutch to communicate with officials and so on?  

Also, does Dutch citizenship require renouncing other citizenship, or do they allow dual?  

57 minutes ago, Genady said:

A very complicated question.

36 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Bonaire is a polyglot society.  If 3/4 of citizens have Papiamento as their main language, are they expected to know sufficient Dutch to communicate with officials and so on?  

Also, does Dutch citizenship require renouncing other citizenship, or do they allow dual?  

They allow dual

Which makes things even more complicated.

For one thing the Dutch still have a form of (military) conscription.

For another they have an annual wealth tax.

But they do not have inheritance tax.

36 minutes ago, studiot said:

They allow dual

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

does Dutch citizenship require renouncing other citizenship, or do they allow dual?  

Generally, they don't, AFAIK: Netherlands - Dual Citizenship (dualcitizenshipreport.org) The circumstances when it is allowed, don't apply to me. This is my reason not to apply. OTOH, I'm quite sure that military conscription doesn't apply to me either.

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

Except for very old people, everyone speaks Dutch here, mostly fluently. It is one of the two official languages. Public schools are in Dutch. Etc. People born here are Dutch nationals by birth. BTW, English is semi-official, and most people here speak it, too.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

they have quite tough requirements for fluency in Dutch, familiarity with Dutch customs etc.

AFAIK, the 'civic integration exam' is not required for applicants over 65 years old.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

EU citizenship

Would there be any advantage to me as I am retired?

Just now, Genady said:

Generally, they don't, AFAIK: Netherlands - Dual Citizenship (dualcitizenshipreport.org) The circumstances when it is allowed, don't apply to me. This is my reason not to apply. OTOH, I'm quite sure that military conscription doesn't apply to me either.

Except for very old people, everyone speaks Dutch here, mostly fluently. It is one of the two official languages. Public schools are in Dutch. Etc. People born here are Dutch nationals by birth. BTW, English is semi-official, and most people here speak it, too.

AFAIK, the 'civic integration exam' is not required for applicants over 65 years old.

Would there be any advantage to me as I am retired?

OK so you would not want the freedom to work anywhere in the EU, then. It is still helpful when moving around Europe, I think, to countries not within the Schengen area, and for things like health cover when visiting. But not game-changing.