humans

every once and a while you get those bigotted people that say we are the pinnicle of evolution. frankly, i don't see where that is coming from. we suck. if it weren't for our thumbs and big brains, we would be screwed. our eyes suck(kinda odd how many creationists use the human eye as proof of irreducable complexity). most of us don't even have a furry coat. we even keep our genetically weak around long enough to reproduce.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!!! People call me nuts when I say compassion for others is leading to the slow but inevitable corruption of our genetic integrity!! Everyone, no matter how diseased, gets to have babies!

To hell with natural selection!! Yippee!!! (that's sarcasm)

And even when someone isn't able to reproduce, what do we do!?!?! Rather than toss them a pity-orphan or two, we try to find ways to force pregnancy on them!!

Depends how you look at it... I mean, we are certainly the masters of controlling our enviroment (as well as destroying it)
Do we have the capability to learn to maintain or enhance our genes? Quite possibly. Can we do it yet? Will we anytime soon? Will we even try to on the global scale? Not a chance in Hell. And until we learn how, we need to be at the mercy of n. selection, but we ruined that with all are wonderful "mastery". And waht good is mastery without harmony?

And think of all the orphans who could use a good home! Think of how many orphans are being left in the ruler-bearing clutches of Nuns!

We don't have mastery, we have forced dominion, which is nothing compared to subtle, empathic influence. And we might be safe for now, but think about the long term effects. Most notably, the accumulation of bad genes, some deadly. And sure, we'll still evolve, but to what ends? What happens when some cataclysm sweeps away everyhting humanity built up, and suddenly we're only evolved for cubicles and nutrition-paste?

We don't have mastery, we have forced dominion, which is nothing compared to subtle influence. ANd we might be safe for now, but think about the long term effects. Most notably, the accumulation of bad genes, some deadly.

Alls I know is I am now sitting in a nice comfortable living room, using electricity to communicate with people thousands of miles away without fear of any animal harming me. No other creature on Earth can claim that.

Alls I know is I am now sitting in a nice comfortable living room, using electricity to communicate with people thousands of miles away without fear of any animal harming me. No other creature on Earth can claim that.
and we're the only ones that have to. any other creatures that need to cook their food, wear clothes, etc...?

Exactly. What people don't realize (environmentalists notably) is that human intellegence is a result of evolution, so any manipulations we do to "mother nature" was actually caused by mother nature, albiet indirectly.

I hate those people who think technology vs. nature. Our ability to influence the environment comes from our evolution due to environmental pressures.

I hate those people who think technology vs. nature. Our ability to influence the environment comes from our evolution due to environmental pressures.
But all we do is end up messing up the balances. We go much further than we need to, resulting in wanton destruction. Not every natural event is good. And it'd be fine if we JUST repsonded to environ. pressure, but we don't, we are fueled by the need to utterly dominate.

I support diverting incoming asteroids (were it feasible) which is perfectly natural. Just because it's natural doesn't mean we should just get over it. Same applies to humans.

... and is the only animal that can leave the planet... and is the only animal that can explain evolution and many other scientific concepts...
So what if the planet is dead, and so are we?

... and I can kill any animal on this planet.. and humans can nuke the planet into oblivion... (still wonders how humans are unimpressive).
How is this impressive? Destoying even more stuff simply to sate our innate bloodlust? Isn't the goal supposed to be peace and all that crap?

good question. we're setting ourselves up for a fall.....a big one.

I dont get where you are going with this. What is the point? Do you mean that we devolved ourselves? Either way, if a cataclysm occurs and we die off due to it, I am sure we will not be the only species to go. So how does that make us any less impressive then the next dieing species? Life will go on either way... I mean you would have to totally sterilize the planet core to crust to eliminate all life from the planet.

But all we do is end up messing up the balances. We go much further than we need to' date=' resulting in wanton destruction. Not every natural event is good. And it'd be fine if we JUST repsonded to environ. pressure, but we don't, we are fueled by the need to utterly dominate.

I support diverting incoming asteroids (were it feasible) which is perfectly natural. Just because it's natural doesn't mean we should just get over it. Same applies to humans.[/quote']

But were do you think the need to utterly dominate comes from. Its in our genes. Humans (particularly males) have the drive to conquer and spread our seed. We want to eliminate the competition, so we can control everything, land, money, whatever...so its easier for us to reproduce and to leave our name and genes behind after we die.

I dont get where you are going with this. What is the point? Do you mean that we devolved ourselves? Either way, if a cataclysm occurs and we die off due to it, I am sure we will not be the only species to go. So how does that make us any less impressive then the next dieing species? Life will go on either way... I mean you would have to totally sterilize the planet core to crust to eliminate all life from the planet.

one catastophe and all our "advanced" technology is gone. we are screwed. that is where i am going

one catastophe and all our "advanced" technology is gone. we are screwed. that is where i am going

I fail to see how modern Homo Sapien cannot survive off of hunter gathering as we did for millions of years. Its still on our genes, and if worse comes to worse we can resort to that again and still be on the top of the food chain. Thats impressive to me.

I fail to see how modern Homo Sapien cannot survive off of hunter gathering as we did for millions of years. Its still on our genes, and if worse comes to worse we can resort to that again and still be on the top of the food chain. Thats impressive to me.

have you read this thread at all?

btw, there are a lot of animals at the top of the food chain. there is more than one. food chains aren't all that big.

Our technology is gone...but not our ability to remake it. Our intelligence lies within our genome, and even if all our geniuses die, evolution will eventually produce new ones.