Magnetic propulsion (split from How does quantum mechanics affect man-made space exploration?)

EmDriver

Would quantum magnetism be able to control the direction of acceleration in a ship due to the effects of Ferrimagnetism, Anti-Ferrimagnetism, Diamagnetism, and Paramagnetism (granted that the exterior hull of said ship was of the same element)?

• swansont changed the title to Magnetic propulsion (split from How does quantum mechanics affect man-made space exploration?)
15 minutes ago, EmDriver said:

Would quantum magnetism be able to control the direction of acceleration in a ship due to the effects of Ferrimagnetism, Anti-Ferrimagnetism, Diamagnetism, and Paramagnetism (granted that the exterior hull of said ship was of the same element)?

What do you mean by "quantum magnetism" in this context?

37 minutes ago, exchemist said:

What do you mean by "quantum magnetism" in this context?

As in if the exterior hull of a ship were to be cooled to a temperature to allow for quantum magnetism to occur. The element in question would then need to be able to be at that temperature without compromising it's structure. It would of course be dependent on if there was a way to prevent the waveform from occurring, as that would make it highly unstable.

Edited by EmDriver

37 minutes ago, EmDriver said:

As in if the exterior hull of a ship were to be cooled to a temperature to allow for quantum magnetism to occur. The element in question would then need to be able to be at that temperature without compromising it's structure. It would of course be dependent on if there was a way to prevent the waveform from occurring, as that would make it highly unstable.

This is gibberish. I'm out. 

4 hours ago, exchemist said:

This is gibberish. I'm out. 

Binding the atoms together fixes the confinement issue yes, but once physicists figure out how quantum magnetism works, absolute zeroish temps won't even be required. Superconductors at high temperatures is a real possibility and we won't even have to deal with issues that can occur at those temperatures.

If I were to be more concise, figure out how to get it to work in higher temperatures. I would love to read someone describe: what is quantum magnetism (because I don't have a lot of knowledge on it but it is highly interesting to me).

Edited by EmDriver

How I turn Knowledge -> Understanding

Sometimes I perceive what I am exposed to in reverse and must flip it to have an understanding. My execution of how to do this was reversed, but as swansont mentioned, what I was conceiving would be magnetic propulsion. Being able to propel very large objects with magnetic propulsion in a timely manner through space would open up so many possibilities. So I should of said I don't have a strong understanding of quantum magnetism, but it is highly interesting to me.

Quantum magnetism involves elements that are capable of strongly attracting or repulsing others below certain temperatures, but do not have an electrical charge. These elements are known as ferromagnets. It has to do with the way that atoms are spinning which create a magnetic effect (where my knowledge steeply drops off at).

Utilizing this concept something such as this could be possible providing 2 way transportation at very minimal energy:

--->                                                  <---
Earth  ----Superconductor ---------------------------------- Superconductor----  Moon
                                       --->                     Space                   <---

While I'm not a quantum physicist myself, I can definitely appreciate the topic! From what I understand, it's possible that the effects of quantum magnetism could have an impact on the direction of acceleration in a ship, especially if the hull was made of the same element. However, it's hard to say for sure without more information and research.

24 minutes ago, normanbatesfig said:

While I'm not a quantum physicist myself, I can definitely appreciate the topic! From what I understand, it's possible that the effects of quantum magnetism could have an impact on the direction of acceleration in a ship, especially if the hull was made of the same element. However, it's hard to say for sure without more information and research.

There is no recognised term quantum magnetism, so far as I am aware. The OP seems to be referring to simple, day-to-day ferromagnetism, of the kind exhibited by an ordinary permanent magnet. The term "quantum" seems to add no information.  

5 hours ago, EmDriver said:

Quantum magnetism involves elements that are capable of strongly attracting or repulsing others below certain temperatures, but do not have an electrical charge. These elements are known as ferromagnets. It has to do with the way that atoms are spinning which create a magnetic effect (where my knowledge steeply drops off at).

That’s just ferromagnetism. It’s inherently quantum-mechanical, at its basic level

5 hours ago, EmDriver said:

Utilizing this concept something such as this could be possible providing 2 way transportation at very minimal energy:

--->                                                  <---
Earth  ----Superconductor ---------------------------------- Superconductor----  Moon
                                       --->                     Space                   <---

No. Magnetic fields are not an energy source. They do no work. For systems that do work and use magnetic fields, the source is elsewhere.

But feel free to calculate the strength of magnetic field needed to give you the force needed to get you moving off the earth. Keep in mind that the dipole field of a magnet drops off as 1/r^3, i.e. faster than that of the gravitational field. (so more than the 1N/kg you need at the surface). This is why a magnet has to be relatively close to an object to lift it.

1 hour ago, normanbatesfig said:

No, it’s not hard at all. Newton’s laws suffice to tell us that you need an external force to cause an acceleration, and Maxwell’s equations limit how much of an attainable force one can get for any reasonable set of parameters.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

There is no recognised term quantum magnetism, so far as I am aware. The OP seems to be referring to simple, day-to-day ferromagnetism, of the kind exhibited by an ordinary permanent magnet. The term "quantum" seems to add no information.  

I believe it’s used in solid-state/condensed matter physics because magnetism depends on spin and orbital states, but once you get to what’s happening outside the material, it’s classical all the way.