Buoyant force

Saber

5 minutes ago, studiot said:

So you are claiming that a pure tension structure made of flexible fabric can support compression ?

Of course, except I'm treating the high-pressure gas inside the balloon as part of the structure.

A rigid object is a kind of structure, a gas-filled balloon is a kind of structure, the rim and spokes of a bicycle wheel are a kind of structure, the spars and stays on a sailboat are a kind of structure, and those funny combinations of hook-shaped thingies that somehow hang together are a kind of structure. The nature of the internal structure and the external forces acting on the structure are separate issues.

Edited by Lorentz Jr

Just now, Lorentz Jr said:

Of course, except I'm treating the high-pressure gas inside the balloon as part of the structure.

A rigid object is a kind of structure, a gas-filled balloon is a kind of structure, the spars and stays on a sailboat are a kind of structure, and those funny combinations of hook-shaped thingies that somehow hang together are a kind of structure. The nature of the internal structure and the external forces acting on the structure are separate issues.

Please give me strength.

Go back to the two correct things you said which were

1) The air density inside the balloon is lower than the air density outside.

2) The air pressure inside the balloon is greater than the air pressure outside.  ( But - my comment - this cannot be true at the opening or the higher pressure air would simply exit the balloon. This is why the given analysis sets the pressure at the bottom to be equal inside and outside ).

Now consider a Montgolfier design; a ball shape with say the bottom 40% cut away to form the hot air entry part.

The remaining of the lower hemisphere wiil be curved in such a way as for the higher pressure at the bottom to push down harder on it than the lower pressure pushes upwards further up.
At the equator of course the net force is horizontal inside the balloon.

59 minutes ago, studiot said:

Please give me strength.

I can't give you strength, studiot. I can only help you understand. :)

Now consider a Montgolfier design

How about we forget about designs, studiot, because they're not really on topic, they're all subject to the same physics, and using big words like "Montgolfier" doesn't prove anything.

The remaining of the lower hemisphere wiil be curved in such a way as for the higher pressure at the bottom to push down harder on it than the lower pressure pushes upwards further up.

That applies to any balloon. Small hole, no hole, whatever. Obviously the total internal force pushing down on the lower part of the balloon has to be greater than the internal force pushing up on the upper part, because the net force of the fabric on the hot air has to support the air's weight.

Edited by Lorentz Jr

Whats inside  the buckets ?  i man   under the membranes ?    water   or  air ?

10 hours ago, Genady said:

Here is a suggestion to produce perpetual motion using buoyancy. Consider this kind of device submerged in water: 

image.jpeg.06d52d7788b76eb07af7ab9281039a41.jpeg

It has two wheels with a belt, and cups attached to the belt. I drew two cups on each side, but the belt can be as long as needed and there can be as many cups attached as needed.

Each cup is covered with a flexible membrane with weight attached to the center of the membrane. When cup is on the right, the opening faces upward and the weight pushes the membrane inward. When cup is on the left, the opening faces downward and the weight pulls the membrane outward. 

Thus, the cups on the right have smaller volume than the cups on the left. Consequently, the buoyancy force on the left is greater than on the right, and the device starts rotating clockwise. Each time a cup crosses from left to right over the wheel on top, its membrane moves inward and its volume decreases, but at the same time another cup crosses from right to left under the wheel on bottom, its membrane moves outward and its volume increases. So, the motion continues.

We know that something is wrong here, but what?

Whats   inside the  buckets ?    i mean  under  the membranes ?    air  or   water ?

You  know thinking  is a little hard in the  situation  i have   ......last  night  drones  came in side  my (  Sh*thole )  country  and  had  hit 5   military   facilities  one  near  my  home  about 10Km  distance   and  i  think  things are gona  escalate  ........my   mind  is  on  survival  mode............and i  have to  force it to think  about   science.....
Let alone  the  internet  is  so   slow  it  will  grind  your  gears..........

Trying to   concentrate  on  the  topic.......

I  simplified  it  like this ..........

ewewfs.jpg.4183a2cc6356aa2e1dc8387267b5b05d.jpg

W=   weight of   buckets +  the  weights
B =  buoyant  force  of the  whole bucket +  weigh   in the  case  that the membrane is stretched  out  and the volume of the  bucket  is more thus the buoyant  force is  more

b -=  Buoyant  force  of the  whole bucket + weigh in the  case that the membrane is pushed in..........so the  over all volume of the bucket + weight  is  less thus  the  buoyant  force  is less

So  to  simplify  it the  over all force on the left  buckets =  W-B    lets  call it  for  example  A   and   the  one for  the right  one  =  W-b  and lets  call this  one   for example  a

but  what  direction   are  A & a up  or  down ?

and  that  depends  on   .......how   much  is  W ?     if  W   is  way  much more that   the  buoyant  forces    of  B  and b  then the  buoyant  forces  cant  cancel  it........and   so the  over all force on  both  left &  right  side   is  downwards  and   so the  system  would  and  could not   rotate 

And  if the  W  is less  that  the  buoyant  forces .....and  they  can  cancel  W  out........again   both    forces   on  the   R & L   would  be   upwards  and  again  it  cant   rotate  right ?

But  if   B>W>b   then  the  system  could  probably  start  to   rotate  CW    right?

Edited by Saber

57 minutes ago, Saber said:

......last  night  drones  came in side  my (  Sh*thole )  country  and  had  hit 5   military   facilities

What continent?

........my   mind  is  on  survival  mode............and i  have to  force it to think  about   science.....

Don't forget about survival though. That's important too. 😶

W=   weight of   buckets +  the  weights

Assume that W is big enough for the weights on the left side of the belt to hang down, even at the bottom of the belt.

But  if   B>W>b   then  the  system  could  probably  start  to   rotate  CW    right?

The condition for buoyancy is that the weights on the left side hang down. That means [math]W > \rho g DA[/math], where [math]\rho[/math] is the density of water, [math]A[/math] is the cross-sectional area of each cup, and [math]D[/math] is the depth at the bottom of the belt.*

The question is, what happens when a cup goes around the top or bottom of the belt? For simplicity, you can assume that something keeps each weight locked in place while it goes around a pulley, and the weight is unlocked when the cup is vertical again. So you don't need to worry about the cup's rotation while it's happening. Only the final result of it being turned upside-down.

* (with possible adjustment(s) for atmospheric pressure, depending on what's inside the cup)

Edited by Lorentz Jr

2 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

What continent?

In the  cross roads  of  the  old  world..............the  main   conflict  ground of  human  race  from the  dawn  of  civilization  AKA  middle east

2 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

Don't forget about survival though. That's important too. 😶

You   know   when  your  worried  &  anxious your  mind really  cant  think   about the  things  that  are not  liked  directly   to  its  survival........I mean  when  did  humans evolve  mentally and started  to build &  make tools and then   start  primitive civilizations ?    When  they reached to a  point that  they  had  enough  to  eat and  had some reliable  amount of security i mean   when  they  had  enough  time +  energy  +   free mind..............

In the  region  i  live....the  society  has  not  completely  covered  up that  part  of the  human  social  evolution......* unfortunately.......
And  again  unfortunately..........there  a  thing  called the  ladder  of  opportunity........And  the  ones  who  climb it   first  would dismantle the   stairs as  they are not  interested in  sharing their  higher  position  with  others............

ladder_opportunity.jpg.71186d0d55b56628e1605623d9770345.jpg

and  that  principle  implies  and  is  present  in the  natural  evolution  of the creatures  also..........you  know  this natural  world  doesnt  have that  much  ethics and  morals  after all...........

photo_2017-01-04_14-26-52.thumb.jpg.f223596e784af3176aef0c7b6adfa413.jpg

Never mind    i  dont  wan to  derail  this  thread  and  these talks  belong to  some other  topic and forums..........

3 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

Assume that W is big enough for the weights on the left side of the belt to hang down, even at the bottom of the belt.

The condition for buoyancy is that the weights on the left side hang down. That means W>ρgDA , where ρ is the density of water, A is the cross-sectional area of each cup, and D is the depth at the bottom of the belt.*

The question is, what happens when a cup goes around the top or bottom of the belt? For simplicity, you can assume that something keeps each weight locked in place while it goes around a pulley, and the weight is unlocked when the cup is vertical again. So you don't need to worry about the cup's rotation while it's happening. Only the final result of it being turned upside-down.

* (with possible adjustment(s) for atmospheric pressure, depending on what's inside the cup)

So   you  mean  that  W> B  or b ? right  ?    in that  case   both  forces  on  both  sides  are  downward  but the   force  on  the right  side is  greater   as  its buoyant  force is less   but  in  that  case i  dont  know

werw.jpg.afe7edd9d0fa967d7e5be6ff5b168497.jpg

In  that  case  the forces  on the  right  side  is  more than  the  ones  on the  left  side...............and i  dont  know  if  they  cancel  the  left  forces  and   then the   system  would  rotate CW  or......????

I  have  to  think  more    to   find  ou   where  the .........fishy  thing  is......................

5 hours ago, Saber said:

but  what  direction   are  A & a up  or  down ?

As you have defined, A=W-B and a=W-b. This definition means that A and a are directed down. But be careful: if for example B>W then A is negative. What does it mean that negative force, A, is directed down? It means that a positive force, -A, is directed up.

However, we can continue to consider down forces A and a knowing that a negative force down means a positive force up. Since B>b, it removes from W on the left more than on the right, and A<a. In other words, the downforce on the left is smaller than the downforce on the right. The balance will make right side to move down and the left side to move up.

We can simplify more. Instead of the membranes consider pistons in the cylinders. On the right side, the weight of the piston makes it to go all the way inside the cylinder to its bottom. This cylinder would not experience any buoyancy (ignore the walls thickness), only the weight. On the left side, the weight of the piston makes it to go all the way to the edge of the cylinder (something stops it there). This cylinder would experience the same weight as on the right but also a buoyancy. The weights on the left and on the right cancel and the buoyancy on the left would make the left cylinders to float up.

58 minutes ago, Genady said:

As you have defined, A=W-B and a=W-b. This definition means that A and a are directed down. But be careful: if for example B>W then A is negative. What does it mean that negative force, A, is directed down? It means that a positive force, -A, is directed up.

However, we can continue to consider down forces A and a knowing that a negative force down means a positive force up. Since B>b, it removes from W on the left more than on the right, and A<a. In other words, the downforce on the left is smaller than the downforce on the right. The balance will make right side to move down and the left side to move up.

We can simplify more. Instead of the membranes consider pistons in the cylinders. On the right side, the weight of the piston makes it to go all the way inside the cylinder to its bottom. This cylinder would not experience any buoyancy (ignore the walls thickness), only the weight. On the left side, the weight of the piston makes it to go all the way to the edge of the cylinder (something stops it there). This cylinder would experience the same weight as on the right but also a buoyancy. The weights on the left and on the right cancel and the buoyancy on the left would make the left cylinders to float up.

If  the buoyant  force  is  more than    the  W     to there would  be   upward  force  on the  left  pistons   and  downward  on the  right ones

And  if the B  is less  than  the W then   there  would be downward  forces on  both   sides  but  greater on the  right ........
And  it  seems that  in  both  scenarios   the  system  would  rotate CW

But  still i  cant  figure out  why it  would not   .....................dont tell   it.....give  me  some  time.............i  want to  see if  im  intelligent  enough  to  find  it  out.......

Edited by Saber

13 minutes ago, Saber said:

My  problem   is that i  dont  know   is the  buoyant  force more that the  weight  of the  pistons   or less ?

This is a good assumption:

5 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

Assume that W=100 ton.

5 minutes ago, Genady said:

This is a good assumption:

Assume that W=100 ton.

Is the  tricky  part the  section that  the pistons   reach @ the  top &  bottom ?

Edited by Saber

1 hour ago, Saber said:

Is the  tricky  part the  section that  the pistons   reach @ the  top &  bottom ?

The tricky part is, what happens to the weights? What effect do they have on the belt when they go up and down?

1 hour ago, Genady said:

Assume that W=100 ton

... and D*A < 100,000 liters! 😆

Edited by Lorentz Jr

2 hours ago, Saber said:

Let's simplify even more. Let's assume that the top wheel is above the surface. Then the cups on top turn from left to right while out of water and it doesn't matter what exactly happens there as there is no buoyancy on either side there anyway. 

Edited by Genady

Thinking   in the  first  situation when it  hadnt  been  simplified............The   buckets  with  membranes   i  mean.........

The  buckets  @  the bottom  experience  more pressure in the membranes  right ? so  the  left membranes that protrude out  less  and  the   right ones  that go inside   are pushed more...............

So  the  volumes  at the  bottom  are  less  =   the buoyant force  is less.  @ the bottom   right ?

And  if  we  assume that    the  weigh  force  of  each bucket is 10  for  example  and the  buoyant forces  of  each  bucket in  order of size    from  1  to  4  is like  this  then   the  over all   downward force on each one  is  like  this ........

EWDWEQ.jpg.56c81baebe19652067d09b66f5b78fbb.jpg

IN that  case on the  right  side   as  the  buckets  go  down.........they  have  to  accelerate.........  and  on the  left  side.....as they   travel  up  they  have to  decelerate  right ??

Edited by Saber

27 minutes ago, Saber said:

So  the  volumes  at the  bottom  are  less

If the membranes are flexible but not stretchable, it will not happen.

30 minutes ago, Saber said:

they  have  to  accelerate

They would accelerate until they reach velocity when the water resistance balances the gravity and buoyancy forces.

23 hours ago, Genady said:

Let's simplify even more. Let's assume that the top wheel is above the surface. Then the cups on top turn from left to right while out of water and it doesn't matter what exactly happens there as there is no buoyancy on either side there anyway. 

So  back to the most  simplified  version ....is  it  that  the  pistons have to  enter  water ( a very denser material )  from  air..........and  the  force  needed to  go  in  it   from a very lower  density  to a  very  higher one ?

24 minutes ago, Saber said:

So  back to the most  simplified  version ....is  it  that  the  pistons have to  enter  water ( a very denser material )  from  air..........and  the  force  needed to  go  in  it   from a very lower  density  to a  very  higher one ?

That density has an effect if a body hits the water on high speed, but if it enters slow enough then the only force it needs to overcome is the buoyancy.

35 minutes ago, Saber said:

is  it  that  the  pistons have to  enter  water ( a very denser material )  from  air..........and  the  force  needed to  go  in  it   from a very lower  density  to a  very  higher one ?

Forget about everything except the weights. Imagine that the belt turns just enough for one weight to change direction on each side, plus there are more weights in between. What effect does each weight have on the belt? They have to push on it or add energy to it if it's going to keep moving.

17 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

Imagine that the belt turns just enough for one weight to change direction on each side,

Does  that  mean   weighs  on both  sides reach to the  bottom/tom  simultaneously ?   or  the opposite  of this ?

The  weighs   only  can  pull  right  they  cant push

Edited by Saber