I would like to know your opinion on this hypothesis?

asd2791

All these studies say that high pressure causes narcosis , and low pressure causes difficulty sleeping.
Despite all that, you say it is not evidence?!!!
I am not 100% certain, but this scientific evidences for my hypothesis is worth considering.

Edited by asd2791

30 minutes ago, asd2791 said:

All these studies say that high pressure causes narcosis , and low pressure causes difficulty sleeping.
Despite all that, you say it is not evidence?!!!
I am not 100% certain, but this scientific evidences for my hypothesis is worth considering.

They say no such thing.

Certain gases at high partial pressure produce narcosis while others do not, e.g. nitrogen vs. helium.  Similarly, low partial pressure of oxygen makes sleeping difficult, but low pressure as such does not, cf. Astronauts breathing low pressure air enriched with oxygen and sleeping quite normally.

if you don’t know what partial pressure is I can explain.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, exchemist said:

They say no such thing.

Certain gases at high partial pressure produce narcosis while others do not, e.g. nitrogen vs. helium.  Similarly, low partial pressure of oxygen makes sleeping difficult, but low pressure as such does not, cf. Astronauts breathing low pressure air enriched with oxygen and sleeping quite normally.

if you don’t know what partial pressure is I can explain.

you say: "Astronauts breathing low pressure air enriched with oxygen",
This information is not precise, the atmospheric pressure inside the International Space Station is 101.3 kPa (14.7 psi; 1.0 atm) 79% nitrogen, 21% oxygen.
and the standard atmosphere is a unit of pressure defined as 101,3 kPa

"This information is on Wikipedia and other sites"

Edited by asd2791

1 hour ago, asd2791 said:

This information is not precise, the atmospheric pressure inside the International Space Station is 101.3 kPa (14.7 psi; 1.0 atm) 79% nitrogen, 21% oxygen.

In the Apollo programme, the capsule was only pressurised to 5psi and the astronauts breathed pure oxygen: https://history.nasa.gov/SP-350/ch-4-4.html

So the air pressure they experienced was only 1/3 of that at sea level, but the partial pressure of oxygen was actually above that at sea level.  

The ISS does not represent the experience of all astronauts. See e.g. the Apollo missions.

edit: xpost with exchemist

On 11/7/2023 at 3:30 PM, exchemist said:

In the Apollo programme, the capsule was only pressurised to 5psi and the astronauts breathed pure oxygen: https://history.nasa.gov/SP-350/ch-4-4.html

So the air pressure they experienced was only 1/3 of that at sea level, but the partial pressure of oxygen was actually above that at sea level.  

I did not find any mention of “sleep” on the link you referred to, and when I researched the nature of sleep among the Apollo astronauts, I found information that supports my hypothesis.
The following was stated in "discover magazine":
on Apollo 11:
"Sleeping in the LM became a battle to find what Armstrong called in the post-flight debriefing “a minimum level of sleeping conditions,” and it was a battle they lost. “The rest period was almost a complete loss,” he said."

on Apollo 14:
"Al Shepard and Ed Mitchell didn’t have much of a better night than their lunar predecessors [ reference to former Apollo astronauts ]." 

Thanks for the help in finding additional evidence for my hypothesis

Edited by asd2791

48 minutes ago, asd2791 said:

I did not find any mention of “sleep” on the link you referred to, and when I researched the nature of sleep among the Apollo astronauts, I found information that supports my hypothesis.
on Apollo 11:
"Sleeping in the LM became a battle to find what Armstrong called in the post-flight debriefing “a minimum level of sleeping conditions,” and it was a battle they lost. “The rest period was almost a complete loss,” he said."

on Apollo 14:
"Al Shepard and Ed Mitchell didn’t have much of a better night than their lunar predecessors [ reference to former Apollo astronauts ]." 

Ah but that’s in the LM, when they were actually on the moon. What about the command module, which was less stressful and more comfortable? https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/35869/which-module-had-more-comfort-in-terms-of-living-space-the-lunar-module-or-th

Edited by exchemist

2 hours ago, asd2791 said:

on Apollo 11:

on Apollo 14:

Information that does not mention the cause of the sleep issues does not support your hypothesis. It just doesn’t falsify it. This is the fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc (happened after, therefore was caused by) 

• 3 months later...

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) causes a lack of oxygen supply, and people with it suffer from poor sleep.

correction:  Sleep reduces the amount of air entering the lungs per minute.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) causes a lack of oxygen supply, and people with it suffer from poor sleep.

Are you suggesting such people experience a lower air pressure? If not, what relevance does this have to your hypothesis?

2 hours ago, asd2791 said:

Does not logically follow. You have not ruled out a common cause. What you have here is a correlation, not causality.

13 hours ago, exchemist said:

Are you suggesting such people experience a lower air pressure? If not, what relevance does this have to your hypothesis?

According to my hypothesis, air and pressure are related to each other.  pressure alone does not work, and air alone does not work.  They must come together.

Edited by asd2791

7 minutes ago, asd2791 said:

According to my hypothesis, air and pressure are related to each other.  pressure alone does not work, and air alone does not work.  They must come together.

You are not making any sense at all.