Lithium metal from batteries

paulsutton

I am just going to ask a few questions with regard to using Lithium metal found in batteries,  or at least going on this video below that I found on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDkiUAwxRs&feature=youtu.be

First things first, I fully acknowledge that doing what is suggested in the video is dangerous however being as this section is for home chemistry  perhaps I can ask some general questions.

1.  Lithium metal is available to schools via education supply stores but I am guessing not to home chemists

2. If supplied  it is stored under oil or oil film, I would assume this is  to prevent reaction with the air or I would assume any moisture in the air,  therefore what sort of oil can be used for this ?   Most people probably have access to cooking oil (either sunflower or vegetable oil) but what sort of oil would normally be used in a school science lab for this ?

For reference there is a MSDS here, so this shows that I can look things up at least.

http://msdsdownloads.co.uk/msds/msds_lithium_metal.pdf

DISCLAIMER I am not in any shape way or form suggesting people do the above,  so just asking generally.

However if anyone HAS tried this is there any feed back /' advise can they give please.

Thanks

Paul

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2022 at 8:59 PM, paulsutton said:

2. If supplied  it is stored under oil or oil film, I would assume this is  to prevent reaction with the air or I would assume any moisture in the air,  therefore what sort of oil can be used for this ?   Most people probably have access to cooking oil (either sunflower or vegetable oil) but what sort of oil would normally be used in a school science lab for this ?

Hello Paul!
When lithium metal is stored, it is indeed done so under oil or an oil film. Yes, This is to prevent the metal from reacting with the air and any moisture in the air. In a school science lab, a specific type of oil is typically used for this purpose. While cooking oils like sunflower or vegetable oil could work in a pinch, mineral oil is a more common choice for lab use. Mineral oil is a clear, odorless, and relatively inert oil commonly used to protect reactive metals like lithium and sodium from air and moisture. It forms a stable layer on the surface of the metal, preventing direct contact with the surrounding environment. This helps ensure the safety of handling and storage in a laboratory setting.

Happy learning!

On 9/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, paulsutton said:

It is sold in mineral oil:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lithium+mineral+oil