gas prices

1dumbdude

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Automobiles emit 19.5 pounds of carbon dioxide, a global-warming gas

The efficacy of CO2 to elicit a "global warming" effect in comparison to other anthropogenic climage change forcings is a matter of serious scientific debate. The impact of any of these forcings upon the natural cycles of the climate system is still anyone's ballgame.

See:

http://climatesci.atmos.colostate.edu/?p=21

As discussed in depth in the NRC (2005) report, the human influences on the climate system are diverse and include, in addition to the radiative effect of the well-mixed greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane, diverse influences from aerosols, land-use/land-cover change, the biogeochemical effects of enhanced CO2 and of nitrogen deposition. As concluded in the multi-authored paper Nonlinearities, Feedbacks, and Critical Thresholds within the Earth’s Climate System:

“The Earth’s climate system is highly nonlinear: inputs and outputs are not proportional, change is often episodic and abrupt, rather than slow and gradual, and multiple equilbria are the norm……..It is imperative that the Earth’s climate system research community embrace this nonlinear paradigm if we are to move forward in the assessment of the human influence on climate.”

Pangloss' date=' telling someone to look it up and learn it for himself is the exact opposite of telling him to take my word at face value.

The necessary next step for anyone who sees an important idea like this one is to do his own research and KNOW the material if he has the capacity. Reading my little research papers and opinions isn't enough.[/quote']

Yes, but telling people to look up the things that YOU tell them, without telling them where they can find your little "facts" is exactly the SAME thing as telling them to take your word at face value.

I have to hand it to you, though. You are the most eggregious case of "do as I say, not as I do" that I've seen in over 20 years of electronic debate. :)

Yes' date=' but telling people to look up the things that YOU tell them, without telling them where they can find your little "facts" is exactly the SAME thing as telling them to take your word at face value.

I have to hand it to you, though. You are the most eggregious case of "do as I say, not as I do" that I've seen in over 20 years of electronic debate. :)[/quote']

Maybe so, but sometimes I like to do things to get rid of the "I need someone to lead me around by the nose" syndrome that I see so much of. :cool: If I don't specify where to look for something, the person I am speaking to has to go independent, doesn't he? This isn't a subject that's so easy to get lost on, either, when you have Google.

That's because they don't buy gas in a volume of 'one day's worth'. They buy large quantities of gas and sell it for the same price as long as they have 'that gas'. When that supply of gas runs out and they refill, then the price will go up. We seem to notice that the price goes up sooner than it goes down, but that's because when gas goes up at other places and one station still has their 'cheaper gas', people will go and fill up on the cheaper gas and it will soon run out. As a result, the owner buys more gas and now charges the higher price.

When gas prices drop, the owners have to sell their more expensive gas before they refill and get the cheaper gas. The thing is, people don't want to buy the expensive gas so they don't run out of it as quickly.