Dark matter

Kevin_Hall

56 minutes ago, Godot said:

Ummm...   ...my turf! (I used to be a molecular bologist)

This is a nice and elegant proposal to build a novel detector with superb spatial resolution - though it's actually more like 3nm, not the single one the paper peddles. Still, better than other currently used detection systems.

But... ...neither this article nor the quoted primary source https://arxiv.org/pdf/1206.6809.pdf give even the slightest hint as to how they'd manage to differentiate between WIMPs and other particles. *shrug*

["convective gravity"]

None I know of, that's why I'm asking f there is any. It might even be compatible with GR, as the assumption would be that 0g (not the free fall type, but the absolute) might not be the bottom of the scale. After all, we're way deep in the gravity well ot the milky way / local group / ... 

Only hand-waving from me, no data or such. Just wondering whether anybody did such a theory / the math based on that assumption.

Re the first part: my "disapproval" referred only to the idea of using them for detection of specifically dark matter.

Re the second part: If I understand correctly, you're asking if gravity can be repulsive, rather than attractive. Yes, it can. Dark energy, whatever it is, creates repulsive gravity. The hypothesis of early cosmic inflation assumed repulsive gravity. However, for gravity to be repulsive, its source needs to be somewhat "exotic." No matter and radiation we are familiar with and observe in galaxies, including the dark matter, are like that. Their gravity is attractive.