Relation of the suns light with earth's......

sameer

We see the sun's light after approx. 8 mins ( we will take it 8 mins and neglect that 32 secs.). That means that we see the sun as what it was 8 mins before. But earth rotates along its axis.

It rotates 2 degrees in 8 mins.

Therefore what we see from the earth is not the actuall position of the sun.

what we see the sunfrom earth should be its position 2 degrees west.

Ain't I right or am I just Confused??????

I never said that the rotation effects the path of light.

I just said that till the light of sun reaches the earths ground, i.e. eight mins, we will be moved 2 degrees.So the position of the sun what we see will be changed relative to our motion.

Therefore what we see from the earth is not the actuall position of the sun.

what we see the sunfrom earth should be its position 2 degrees west.

Ain't I right or am I just Confused??????

True, and if you look at our closest star, about 4 light years from here, the earth will have rotated on it's axis 1460 times before the light reaches us.

Well that all depends on how fast we would feel the gravitational effects of the sun disappearing. If gravity propogates at the speed of light, then yes, we'd still be orbiting eight minutes after it disappeared. However, several theories suggest that gravity is on another dimension, one that is not bound by our speed limit. If that's true, and gravity propogates FASTER than the speed of light, then the time it took to feel the effects of the sun's disappearance would be less than eight minutes, or it might even be instantaneous.

• 2 months later...