What is Justice?

dimreepr

And of course before I forget, and to avoid any need to address this again, jailing criminals is not just about incarceration, it also is for punishment and deterrence. 

To repeat as I see you have raised it again.....Society in general is demanding more thought into the "softly softly" approach, as I exampled earlier, and it is not all based on one sensational media story (not sure how one can sensationalise the violence and repeated rape of a little girl by a monster already out on parole?) It is based on many cases, and near everyday and that's just in my own little corner of the world.

6 minutes ago, beecee said:

No actually I'm arguing against someone who at times is talking in riddles and ignoring hard facts. I'll end this little escapade now, as you finally have agreed to what I am saying in as many words. Far better then any unrealsitic, unworkable system with no jails, which you were pushing.

There you go again, arguing in bad faith; unless that's your professional opinion.

3 minutes ago, beecee said:

And of course before I forget, and to avoid any need to address this again, jailing criminals is not just about incarceration, it also is for punishment and deterrence.

Just repeating the same thing doesn't magically make it right.

If the 'evil man' is in prison with no key, society is protected; that is the punishment and deterrence is irrelevant.

So why does prison have to be harsh?

34 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

So why does prison have to be harsh?

I would argue, they have to be harsh to prevent institutionalisation.

But that doesn't work, some minor criminal's have been shown to commit more crime because the outside world is much harder and scarier.

If you want people to be scared of prison, put them in a holiday home on their own, with no contact with the outside world, for 2 week's and ask them to imagine that for the rest of their lives.

Or force the murderer to face the wrath of his victim's mother.

And if neither scares them, their probably incorrigible... 😉