Searching for Scientific Computing Resources

ALine

I have decided to go down the path of scientific computing for my CS major and I want to improve my knowledge on the subject.

Does anyone know of any free resources available that I can maybe look into?

Thank you for your responses.

• 1 year later...

I too am interested in scientific computing. I have a degree but there is a ton of stuff I don’t know.

Do you mean science problems or data science? The web is full of science problems but finding resources for data science seems more difficult. I want to crunch primes or test multiple patterns in numbers. Some stuff Wolfram Alpha helps. But I want more control like in a programming language. I know Mathematica and Excel and Python can help. But there is also a problem of finding data unless you are creating your own.

YouTube should have some stuff but I haven’t found a good video on number crunching. So if any knows how to program a program for recursion or factions let me know.

Where you thinking mining crypto?

You are probably wondering why I replied to your post a year after you wrote it. I did not see this post. I am posting a second time to ask if your scientific computation has led you to mine bitcoin.

The reason I ask is that I want to study bitcoin and the blockchain. Many participants to this forum community sigh when I talk about breaking RSA. But to break RSA you have to factor a large semi-Prime. I attempted to find a pattern in the factorization of factors and not a pattern in Primes. If you can factor the semi-Prime you can break RSA. But most public key crypto relies on finding Primes.

Bitcoin relies on elliptic curve crytpo, But it too relies on the modulus and a large Prime number. The elliptic curve crypto creates a public and private key that control the redemption of  bitcoin. Imagine if we could find these Prime numbers we could take any public key on the blockchain and collect as many coins as we wanted. There have been new stories of crypto currency theft, but the problem is not collecting the coins but liquifying them as cash. The block chain protects theft by record of transactions.

I am not suggesting we steal bitcoin. I am just saying bitcoin is not secure. I do not understand the technical details of elliptic crypto, but in my reading it mentioned and attack based on large Prime numbers.

I know everyone is mining crypto, but it still might be a field of data science you wish to explore. I am just starting to study it. Perhaps it would be better to mine crypto legally.

I posted my “Simple Yet Interesting” thread looking for collaboration in solving public key crypto, I am not naive. I understand why no one takes the post seriously. But I tell you that you will not find a pattern in Primes until you find a pattern in factoring.

I intend to use data science to show my equations. Again, the problem to defeat public key crypto is not just a pattern in Primes. Almost all of the one-way-functions rely on factoring. To me this is the biggest flaw in public key crypto.

To explain what I mean, if a factor has only 2 numbers other than 1 and itself you can estimate where the factors occur. If the first factor is small the other factor is large. If the second factor is large only certain smaller numbers can be multiplied to get a result.

Yes, this is difficult and time consuming if you set your rules correctly you have limited estimates. This is well known, I claimed, for the special case where only 2 Prime factors exist. The rules can be put into an equation and find the factors due to the fact that there are only 2 factors.

So in conclusion, that is my data science project. I want to study bitcoin. But I fear one day block chains will crash once the ciphers they are based on are defeated. The whole crypto currency seems very much like an elegant scheme. But what if the computer data can’t find any pattern? The pattern is there, we just can’t see it. We are looking for series or higher mathematics when a simple solution is best.

• 1 month later...

For students or amateurs (myself included), I recommend Wikipedia or https://oeis.org/A000040

Here is a great number theory resource that can be imported to Excel or Mathematica.

I imported the 1st 1000 Primes into Mathematica. I was very proud until I learned Mathematica had a library built in, in my S.Y.I post. I recommend downloading the notebook file in my post and importing your own file.

But the possibility of manipulating numbers on oeis and Wikipedia sites is endless.