Hi, Im a new bird into the world of STEM

Yance

On 1/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, Yance said:

Hi everyone

45 minutes ago, BigR said:

Hi,

Hi everyone and presumably Hi from everyone else.  I'm also fairly new here but I'm not sure we can have a whole forum thread full of  "Hi".  

I'm not sure how this voting or rating system works either but Yance  can have a +1 from me for being brave enough to use the forum.   BigR can have +1 for being brave enough to reply.  No more +1 from me, regardless of who joins in the discussion, since I don't think we're suppose to hand them out like smarties - but how would I know?

Request to Moderators, staff and anyone else:  Can we have some guidance on what Newbies can, should or may like to do, please? 

Also could you make it  BIG AND BRIGHT on the screen just after we create an account, so that a simple person like myself can find it.  Additionally, could you just automate a +1 for each newbie after they've either created a post or replied on an existing thread without it needing to be taken straight off the thread by the moderators.  (Because that is a fair achievement).  OK, I know I'm asking a lot. 

Meanwhile, may I suggest you (Yance and BigR) head over to the    Forum Announcements   section?   It doesn't actually help much but it's there and it seems like a place you should go for guidance.  You can imagine that you are passing other virtual newcomers to the forum - those returning may still have the same puzzled faces they went in with but that's beside the point.

More usefully, may I ask what you want or hope to find?  Maybe I've seen it, or someone else will reply.

From what I've seen so far, this thing is reasonably open and free-form.  Try and get your own posts in roughly the right slots (for example Chemistry and Physics have different sections and there's also a SPECULATIONS section for wild speculations about anything), or else just browse through and join an existing discussion.

@swansont   Not sure if this is how you message a moderator and I'm sorry, Swansont, for putting your name here.  You were one of the people listed in the forum announcement section.  Please could I ask for a link to some information or some brief guidance for new-comers to this forum? 

Good Luck to both of you and best wishes.

2 minutes ago, Col Not Colin said:

I'm not sure how this voting or rating system works

If you like a post, you give it a plus... or a like. If you don’t, you can either ignore the post and move on or give it a downvote if you feel it was out of line or rude or in some way counter to what’s considered acceptable here. 

If you’re unsure how social media platforms like this work, just ignore that part. It’s optional. 

4 minutes ago, Col Not Colin said:

Can we have some guidance on what Newbies can, should or may like to do, please? 

I have no idea what you’re asking. People should read posts, add comments which may be helpful, or ask questions in new posts of their own. This applies whether it’s a new or experienced member. 

6 minutes ago, Col Not Colin said:

Additionally, could you just automate a +1 for each newbie after they've either created a post or replied on an existing thread without it needing to be taken straight off the thread by the moderators.  (Because that is a fair achievement).  OK, I know I'm asking a lot. 

This site runs on a software that is built elsewhere. It’s likely the current software used doesn’t allow this type of configuration, and the staff here aren’t the creators or owners of that software. If I’m mistaken and the admins here can flip a switch for an automated +1 on the first post, then they’ll discuss whether or not they want to behind the scenes. 

10 minutes ago, Col Not Colin said:

could I ask for a link to some information or some brief guidance for new-comers to this forum? 

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/7813-science-forums-etiquette/

2 hours ago, Col Not Colin said:

Request to Moderators, staff and anyone else:  Can we have some guidance on what Newbies can, should or may like to do, please? 

Up top, leftmost tab is Browse. Choose “guidelines” and read, along with the links.

Many subforums have pinned tweets and links near the top of the page, relevant to that section.