Glycemic Index of coconut flour??

tim.tdj

Hi Everyone

I have just seen something which doesn't make sense to me. According to the following article, coconut flour has a Glycemic Index of 50:

https://www.upgrademyfood.com/which-flour-is-best-for-a-diabetic/

However, according to the nutrition information on a packet of coconut flour I have purchased, there are only 27.2g of non-fibre carbohydrates per 100g of the flour. Have the authors of the above article made a mistake? How can the Glycemic Index be higher than the amount in grams of non-fibre carbohydrates per 100g of the coconut flour?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

Edited by tim.tdj

If I read the wiki page right, in testing the GI, they compare the effect of 50g of carbohydrate as bread or glucose with 50g of carbohydrate from the food under test.

So they would compare the effect of  50g of glucose with 50/0.272 g of coconut flour.

45 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

If I read the wiki page right, in testing the GI, they compare the effect of 50g of carbohydrate as bread or glucose with 50g of carbohydrate from the food under test.

So they would compare the effect of  50g of glucose with 50/0.272 g of coconut flour.

Hi John

Thank you very much for your reply.

Firstly. please can you provide a link to the wiki page you are referring to.

What you seem to be saying is that the Glycemic Index is a measure of the glycemic response only of the carbohydrate in the food being measured with the rest of the constituents of the food being ignored. This would mean that if the GI of coconut flour is 50, the glycemic response of 100g of coconut flour would be 50*0.272 which is 13.6. Am I correct?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

5 hours ago, tim.tdj said:

Hi Everyone

I have just seen something which doesn't make sense to me. According to the following article, coconut flour has a Glycemic Index of 50:

https://www.upgrademyfood.com/which-flour-is-best-for-a-diabetic/

However, according to the nutrition information on a packet of coconut flour I have purchased, there are only 27.2g of non-fibre carbohydrates per 100g of the flour. Have the authors of the above article made a mistake? How can the Glycemic Index be higher than the amount in grams of non-fibre carbohydrates per 100g of the coconut flour?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

Yes the Glycemic index of coconut flour is around 50.

But the GI is not directly related to the % of carbohydrates of any description.
It is a time thing.

The GI index runs from 0 to 100 and usually uses pure glucose, which has a GI of around 100, as the reference. Slowly absorbed carbohydrates have a low GI rating (55 or below), and include most fruits and vegetables, unsweetened milk, nuts, pulses, some wholegrain cereals and bread 
Research has shown that choosing low-GI foods can particularly help manage long-term blood glucose (HbA1c) levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. There is less evidence to support this in people with Type 1 diabetes, but we know that on a day-to-day basis choosing low GI foods can help keep blood glucose levels steady after eating.

Here are some useful links explaing it.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/carbohydrates-and-diabetes/glycaemic-index-and-diabetes

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/what-is-the-glycaemic-index-gi/

2 hours ago, tim.tdj said:

Hi John

Thank you very much for your reply.

Firstly. please can you provide a link to the wiki page you are referring to.

What you seem to be saying is that the Glycemic Index is a measure of the glycemic response only of the carbohydrate in the food being measured with the rest of the constituents of the food being ignored. This would mean that if the GI of coconut flour is 50, the glycemic response of 100g of coconut flour would be 50*0.272 which is 13.6. Am I correct?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

As far as I can tell, yes, you are right about this "the Glycemic Index is a measure of the glycemic response only of the carbohydrate in the food being measured with the rest of the constituents of the food being ignored. "
But not about this
"This would mean that if the GI of coconut flour is 50, the glycemic response of 100g of coconut flour would be 50*0.272 which is 13.6"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Edited by John Cuthber

22 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

As far as I can tell, yes, you are right about this "the Glycemic Index is a measure of the glycemic response only of the carbohydrate in the food being measured with the rest of the constituents of the food being ignored. "
But not about this
"This would mean that if the GI of coconut flour is 50, the glycemic response of 100g of coconut flour would be 50*0.272 which is 13.6"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Hi John

Thank you very much for your reply and for the link.

After looking at the link you provided it seems that the correct terminology for what I was calling the "glycemic response" is actually "Glycemic Load" which, if I am interpreting it correctly, is is equal to the GI multiplied by the fraction of digestible carbohydrate in the food being measured. This is what I did in order to get the value of 13.6. Is this correct?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

1 hour ago, tim.tdj said:

After looking at the link you provided it seems that the correct terminology for what I was calling the "glycemic response" is actually "Glycemic Load" which, if I am interpreting it correctly, is is equal to the GI multiplied by the fraction of digestible carbohydrate in the food being measured. This is what I did in order to get the value of 13.6. Is this correct?

I think so, but it's not really my field.