Ubuntu

ydoaPs

I just went from Knoppix to Ubuntu. So far, I love Ubuntu. I don't see a reason to use MS anymore, but I kept it just in case I need it later. Ubuntu has a lot of the cool little tricks from MS(like alt tab, alt F4, add/remove programs) and is a lot faster than Windows XP.

I've been thinking about checking this out, maybe in a couple of weeks when my current term ends. Do you have any tips or suggestions for setup?

I just need to download an ISO, burn it, and boot off it, right? I've done setups in Red Hat and Mandrake, but it's been over a year since I worked with Linux so I just thought I'd check and see if it still works that way.

I just went from Knoppix to Ubuntu. So far, I love Ubuntu. I don't see a reason to use MS anymore, but I kept it just in case I need it later. Ubuntu has a lot of the cool little tricks from MS(like alt tab, alt F4, add/remove programs) and is a lot faster than Windows XP.

You'll find synaptic makes ms's add remove programs is a JOKE...

check out teh ubuntu forums and their wiki pages...

I've used it for about 4 months now, booted into windows twice, once just to check it'd work :D

Ubuntu is very - disk in install play, it has some excellent hardware support :D

I definitely like Ubuntu. Mainly because of the add/remove programs. In Fedora/RH all the adding and removing is done from their CDs, and not from online. (Please incert FC4 CD 2...) I've found that some of the programs are "older" but if you install an older version of something, it normally takes care of any depensencies -- from there it's easy to select a .deb or tarball and role from there.

Fedora does have yum, but the repositories are small. Probably about the size of 4 CDs. (PS, goto http://ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories ) Plus, there is no graphical add/remove for yum like there is in Ubuntu.

In Fedora I cant get several peices of software I used in Ubuntu compiled or installed due to dependencies. For Gift, I'm using GiftCurs instead of Appolon and GiftToxic/UI. I hate Cures!

Btw (not to get a KDE vs gnome started), install KDE and see how much you like it. I think apt-get install KDE will do it for you. Or start up Sympati (whatever it is).

My only complaint with Ubuntu is the sound system. "Resource busy..." which is why I installed FC4 in the first place. It wont let you play a song with out queuing all the system bleeps from AIM. So when you stop your music...bling, bling, bling....Plus, it's a pain to watch a movie. I tried everything with this. Installed Xine from source, with libs, messed with the sound system (by reading articles), but in the end it was even more screwed up then before. Maybe you'll have better luck. There is an article on the forums about fixing this. (killall esd...)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26567

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=44753

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=32063

I dont know, but if you ever get the problem. A quick fix should be killall esd if you dont mind a sound queue backing up but killall never worked for me. I always had to restart the entire sound system until I tried the multiple sounds at once thread.

I just need to download an ISO, burn it, and boot off it, right? I've done setups in Red Hat and Mandrake, but it's been over a year since I worked with Linux so I just thought I'd check and see if it still works that way.

Yup.

A couple of warnings though:

- Ubuntu writes the Grub bootloader to your master boot sector by default, so you can't "uninstall" ubuntu by just deleting its partitions.

- To change the boot order of different operating systems you need to edit /etc/grub.conf by hand, as root.

Ubuntu is a lovely distro but I have heard that it is the most resource-hungry implementation of GNOME.

Don't use Ubuntu anymore(moved to slack 10.1) but you should invest time into learning aptitude (a curses based apt-get frontend), it's similar to synaptic but keeps lists of packages and will remove their dependencies on uninstall if there are no conflictions, whereas synaptic will not. Ubuntu is nice but I dislike how they don't give you a desktop environment choice(I hate gnome with a ferver) aptitude should be done as root in a terminal.

Isn't that because it advocates the use of the "sudo" command rather than logging in to root (the idea being that the less you are logged in as root, the less damage youll do, and the less chance of you allowing malicious software root access). It sets the actual root password to a hash that would have no actual typable key combination (ie you could never actually enter it as a password) so root is effectively disabled (ie the hash doesnt equate to any valid key combination, for instance a hash that would occur if the password were in fact 6 null/ string termination characters which is impossible to type and probably store but the hash is possible).

As far as I am aware it uses the "passwd -l" option to do this -

Account maintenance

User accounts may be locked and unlocked with the -l and -u flags. The -l option disables an account by

changing the password to a value which matches no possible encrypted value. The -u option re-enables an

account by changing the password back to its previous value.

The account status may be given with the -S option. The status information consists of 6 parts. The first

part indicates if the user account is locked (L)' date=' has no password (NP), or has a usable password (P).

The second part gives the date of the last password change. The next four parts are the minimum age, max-

imum age, warning period, and inactivity period for the password.

[/quote']

I want proper root dammit.

I'm sure there's a "Shell as root" option in the actions menu but iirc it demands the root password.

It actually requires your own password and not root and is the same as going to a terrminal and running:

sudo -i

I tried that and got the notorious weird security error.

According to the uFAQ:

If you wish to use the root account in more traditional UNIX fashion, you can set the root password by typing sudo passwd root. This will allow you to use su or login as root on the console.

If you need a shell with root privileges, run sudo -s.

Hurrahs. How easy is that.

Thanks. I've got a computer here with a 1ghz older Athlon proc, an 80gb HD, 768mb RAM and a GeForce 3 Ti500. It's currently running my blog on Windows Server 2003, but I've just built a new rig for that purpose (Pentium D 820, 2gb RAM, dual 300gb drives on RAID 0) (it's for other things as well), so I thought I'd load up a Linux distro on the older box, and fit it out with Apache and MySQL.

That will give me a full LAMPS hosting box to run alongside my .NET hosting box. My goal is full web hosting capability here at the house. Silly, I know, because I only have a DSL line, but it's just something fun to kick around with. I've got a couple of low-use domains I host, and I also want to showcase all my .NET and PHP apps (haven't written any significant examples of the latter yet, but given the cost of Windows Server 2003 compared with a LAMPS box, I really want to).

Wasn't ubuntu based off debian?

I was using kubuntu because I didn't want to use the gnome interface.

I don't really use linux that much because of the hassle of setting up ndiswrapper for my broadcom and via-rhine ethernet card.

Wasn't ubuntu based off debian?

I was using kubuntu because I didn't want to use the gnome interface.

I don't really use linux that much because of the hassle of setting up ndiswrapper for my broadcom and via-rhine ethernet card.

Indeed it is/was bassed off of snapshots of debian...

You can always install KDE after Ubuntu, like I said above. I like the fact that it gets everything from the internet instead of a CD. Maybe other distros do this, but in Fedora yum is very limited compared to Ubuntu,

As for root, you can make a root acount. It just doesn't come like that starndard.

I'm not a massive fan of ubuntu for servers.... My personal choice is debian stable (currently debian sarge)...
I liked it better then fedora for web servers. Defaulty fedora forbids access to directory listings, and does a couple other things I dont like (it takes a while to get the server configured in FC4, IMO). Of course, I'm just running a little web site and FTP.