Now I have to rethink everything?

jajrussel

To be honest, any result at just over 3 sigma is less than convincing to me, especially if it stands in contradiction to a lot of other datasets. At the very least, further analysis - and ideally more data - will be needed in order to come to a final conclusion here.

There are several theoretical possibilities as to what global topology and geometry the universe might have; at present I would say that an infinite and nearly flat universe still provides the best fit to the available data. But of course, if and when more data becomes available, this might shift over time, and one of the other options might eventually prove to be a better fit. But in either case, we are in no danger from a „crisis in cosmology“.

Here is the arxiv.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.02087

The claims of a crisis is somewhat in error. Our models would work equally well with a closed curved universe including inflation.

Lmao Chaotic eternal inflation actually used finite closed universes for its potential multiverse model to handle runaway inflation. Though that particular inflation model has lost ground with evidence 

Edited by Mordred

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.