Magnets and Electricity...

DARK0717

1. How much of an effect does a magnetic field do to electricity, i mean bare electricity, as in, its not in a wire or something.
2. Do the poles of a magnet affect the movement of electrons eg: attracting electrons and repelling. (I know very well how motors and generators work, no need to lecture me about how e- flows through a wire coz thats not what Im trying to point out.)

3. Will it be possible to make a magnet attract electrons from one of it's pole, throught the magnet, and releasing/repelling through the other end?

4. Does north and south poles affect negative and positive?

5. Please discuss this: https://arstechnica-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/arstechnica.com/science/2019/09/physics-not-broken-after-all-were-close-to-resolving-proton-radius-puzzle/?amp=1&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Fscience%2F2019%2F09%2Fphysics-not-broken-after-all-were-close-to-resolving-proton-radius-puzzle%2F

Edited by DARK0717

1 hour ago, DARK0717 said:

1. How much of an effect does a magnetic field do to electricity, i mean bare electricity, as in, its not in a wire or something.

2. Do the poles of a magnet affect the movement of electrons eg: attracting electrons and repelling. (I know very well how motors and generators work, no need to lecture me about how e- flows through a wire coz thats not what Im trying to point out.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "bare electricity". Electricity normally refers to the flow of current through wires. (Apart from "static electricity", which is an accumulation of charges on a surface.)

Do you mean free electrons moving through space? (Q2 suggests you do.) It doesn't make any difference. The effect of a magnetic field on a moving charge or on an electric current in a wire is the same.

The force is basically at right angles to both the direction of movement and the direction of the magnetic field: https://opentextbc.ca/physicstestbook2/chapter/magnetic-field-strength-force-on-a-moving-charge-in-a-magnetic-field/

3. Will it be possible to make a magnet attract electrons from one of it's pole, throught the magnet, and releasing/repelling through the other end?

No.

4. Does north and south poles affect negative and positive?

No, they both affect positive and negative charges. But the force is in the opposite direction for each.

This should be in a separate thread (in Physics).

1 minute ago, Strange said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "bare electricity". Electricity normally refers to the flow of current through wires. (Apart from "static electricity", which is an accumulation of charges on a surface.)

Do you mean free electrons moving through space? (Q2 suggests you do.) It doesn't make any difference. The effect of a magnetic field on a moving charge or on an electric current in a wire is the same.

The force is basically at right angles to both the direction of movement and the direction of the magnetic field: https://opentextbc.ca/physicstestbook2/chapter/magnetic-field-strength-force-on-a-moving-charge-in-a-magnetic-field/

No.

No, they both affect positive and negative charges. But the force is in the opposite direction for each.

This should be in a separate thread (in Physics).

For Q1, yes I mean free moving electrons.
for everything, thanks!

4 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

F = qv x B

There will be a force perpendicular the velocity and the magnetic field, which gives rise to a centripetal acceleration as long as v and B are not collinear. i.e. a charge moving in a uniform field will move in a spiral (or a circle if v and B are perpendicular)

16 minutes ago, swansont said:

F = qv x B

There will be a force perpendicular the velocity and the magnetic field, which gives rise to a centripetal acceleration as long as v and B are not collinear. i.e. a charge moving in a uniform field will move in a spiral (or a circle if v and B are perpendicular)

Thank you.
By any chance, is there a way to use magnetic fields to move/make electrons flow through a wire without moving it, think of it as direct magnetic energy to electrical energy conversion?

6 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

Thank you.
By any chance, is there a way to use magnetic fields to move/make electrons flow through a wire without moving it, think of it as direct magnetic energy to electrical energy conversion?

You need to have either a moving wire or (equivalently) a moving/changing magnetic field.