Dungeons & Dragons

JPQuiceno

I just started playing Dungeons & Dragons. Its pretty damn fun. I bought the 3 core rule books, but a special box set of them. I also bought the D&D Basic Game. I'm going to join the RPGA at a local RPG Players store. I was wondering if anyone here played, has played, and is interested in discussing anything regarding D&D?

P.S: I'm from Miami, Florida USA. If anyone wants to play with me and a couple of other people, let me know.

Thanks.

-JPQuiceno

A.K.A

-Renti

Human Fighter

Having played the game off and on for almost 30 years now, my friends who still play have gravitated to online play, using the Neverwinter Nights game modules. The dice and the paper were fine when the rules weren't so complicated. The first version was almost too simple and we quickly modified it with our own extras. Version 2 was better but clumsy, and we found ourselves floundering in hundreds of dollars worth of books and add-ons.

When Version 3 (currently 3.5, I believe) came along, we found that they finally had the game right, extremely realistic (for fantasy), but unfortunately the new rules slowed our game down to a crawl. So much to factor into every swing of the sword! The technical parts quickly overshadowed the role-playing, which was what had kept our interests over three decades of play.

Version 3.5 is the perfect set of rules, but the computer is the perfect setting for them. We play online now, using conference calling and speaker phones to keep that get-together feel. I don't have the time to devote to making dungeons in 3.5, it's just too complicated and intricate. A character takes two hours to generate properly by hand and it's a DM's nightmare to run combat. There is a whole community of D&D geeks who spend their days generating computer modules for the online community. Better them than me, and the stuff they are coming up with is great. There's no fairer DM than the computer using the most up-to-date rules.

Personally, I never really liked D&D due to how 'rules-heavy' it was, and how long combat took. I've always favored systems with minimal rules, like Star Wars back when it was West End Games, or White Wolf. My all-time favorite game ever was an online game over IRC in which there were almost *no* rules (and absolutely no rolling). Everything was governed by playing the character and what would be most dramatic or fitting, with the emphasis placed on storyline and emotional depth, rather than leveling or quest completion. If I had time, I'd still play my characters from that game.

Mokele

Should we need it, we had a 'bot' program (the bartender) who could roll dice for us, but mostly things were determined by subjective knowledge of character's abilities or by what made the best story (like a character slip-up at the most dramaticly appropriate time, etc). It was more like character-acted group writing than traditional D&D style RP.

Mokele