Programming Languages

Cloud

I've been trying to write programs for 2 years now and am struggling to find the right language to start with.

I began with C and learnt the basics. But this wasn't ideal for my purpose.

I want to develop software for mobile phones.

This has its own set of programming languages as you probably know

Java (J2SE) becomes J2ME

C++ becomes Symbian, Brew or Mophun (c++)

Python becomes python

Which language would be the easiest to learn for me(I'm pretty much a complete beginner - some very light knowledge of C).

I heard that python is quite easy.

I've looked at the code for J2ME and Symbian/Brew/mophun and its very hard.

To learn J2ME I need to learn most of Java first.

For the rest I need to know C/C++ first.

For python - I think I can jump straight in.

IF THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE THAT YOU COULD SUGGEST THATS EASIER THAN ALL OF THESE - What language should I use?

(I now know that javascript cannot be used for Java-enabled mobile phones).

imo the strictness of Java makes it a good beginners language because it forces you to code in a good well structured way. As for mobile phone applications I am unsure as to their technologies sorry :(

If you know C then Java should be easy, being based in part on that language. Java is very big for mobile phones and I have several Java applications on mine. It's really a match made in heaven, because the apps can be tiny and yet you still get to work in a consistent runtime environment with all the advantages of plugging into a fully formed library.

I'd agree. Java's definately the way to go if you want to programme apps for mobiles. The major difficulty you will have is learning to programme using objects, but once you've overcome this, it's a very nice paradigm to use. Good luck :)

Wups, he said C not C++. Yeah I guess that's a bigger step than I realized. Still, it's well worth it, Cloud.

In fact you'll probably find it much easier than writing C, once you figure out the class-oriented concepts. No more silly pointers.

Agreed, Java is a fantastic language to start programming for a mobile phone in.

However, if you do start learning Java in general and then move on to J2ME (which dont get me wrong, i agree with as its all still Java and a knowledge of the main Java implementation is nice), remember that J2ME doesnt have some features and methods that are available in your normal PC Java runtime. When i was playing around with J2ME, I couldnt find the regexp methods for instance (which i had used fine in the normal Java Runtime etc). Don't get me wrong, alot of things can be written manually and used, found online somewhere written by someone else etc, or might be included in MIDP 2.0 where you might be writing for MIDP 1.0 (depending on which version the phone supports), its just nice to be aware beforehand when your learning, that some of the features might not be there (they want to keep the virtual machine as lean and mean as possible due to memory/disk space restrictions).

Specification:

* MIDP 2.0 (JSR 118): MIDP 2.0 is a revised version of the MIDP 1.0 specification, and includes new features such as an enhanced user interface, multimedia and game functionality, greater connectivity, over-the-air (OTA) provisioning, and end-to-end security. MIDP 2.0 is backward compatible with MIDP 1.0, and continues to target mobile information devices such as mobile phones and PDAs. » Read More

* MIDP 1.0 (JSR 37)

Also, there are some nice J2ME emulators available that you can use to easily and quickly test out your programs rather than laboriously uploading to your phone or being stuck with only your phone as a test. I can't remember the one I was using but heres one - http://microemulator.sourceforge.net/ (first thing off google, so itd be better to search for more).