Is this invention even possible?

Nate M

I have been learning more and more about radio waves and their effect on water. That being said, I am working on an invention that could totally alter the way I perform my job. Radio waves mixed with a cathode and anode has increasingly been used in drying foods and textile fabrics. However, this RF drying is done on a huge scale. Is it possible to do this on a smaller scale. Maybe a portable rf dryer? It would not be hard to mount a portable rf transmitter but this would have no effect on the water (the drying process) without the cathode and anode. What could I use for a portable cathode and anode? 

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Sounds like you are trying to invent the microwave oven ...

But I don't see where the cathode and anode come into it...

Search rf drying on google. It is not a microwave oven. The cathode and anode come into play by flipping the water molecules back and forth (because water is polar) and this causes friction of the water molecules and thereby evaporating them. 

12 hours ago, Nate M said:

I have been learning more and more about radio waves and their effect on water. That being said, I am working on an invention that could totally alter the way I perform my job. Radio waves mixed with a cathode and anode has increasingly been used in drying foods and textile fabrics. However, this RF drying is done on a huge scale. Is it possible to do this on a smaller scale. Maybe a portable rf dryer? It would not be hard to mount a portable rf transmitter but this would have no effect on the water (the drying process) without the cathode and anode. What could I use for a portable cathode and anode? 

You are basically building a huge capacitor. You need metal plates the size of the region you want to be affected, though these probably need not be solid. You might be able to do this with a mesh, which could be rolled up, and a frame, which could be assembled

6 hours ago, swansont said:

You are basically building a huge capacitor. You need metal plates the size of the region you want to be affected, though these probably need not be solid. You might be able to do this with a mesh, which could be rolled up, and a frame, which could be assembled

Awesome. That is really helpful. How would the mesh be made? 

Apparently, existing systems inject some 100kW at the ISM frequency if 40.68MHz. They work like a microwave oven, just at a lower frequency than usual.

• Smaller is definitely possible, and easier than the big system.
  • The electrodes (which I wouldn't call anode and cathode for AC here) can be nearly anything non-magnetic and resistant enough to corrosion, including copper, aluminium, and especially gold. 10µm evaporated gold suffice, or a wrap foil... A mesh might perhaps be possible but I feel a plate as easy and its losses are smaller.
  • The apparatus must shield the users from the RF field. Almost certainly, it will be closed, possibly with long flat open entrance and exit. Call it "portable"?
  • 100kW isn't necessary for smaller targets, put RF power is difficult for real. Buy, unless you have years of experience.
  • Same story for the design of the electrodes. Only if you have the knowledge and experience for electromagnetism.
  • Higher ISM frequencies exist: 433.92MHz, 2450MHz... But they would fit only very small targets, say <100mm. 40.68MHz is low for this use, so a decent efficiency will be difficult, but it's easier to shield.

If the material to be dried is lossy for 40.68MHz RF, it will burn. That's not trivial, because water isn't so lossy at this frequency. And don't focus on the molecules' orientation blah blah, it's wrong: losses are by conduction, in water at this frequency, so they rely on the water's impurity.