commands and cable

ydoaPs

fagel came over to my house today and installed Knoppix on my computer. he didn't tell me a thing about how to operate it. i don't know any commands and i don't know how to enter said commands even if i know them.

i also don't know how to get my cable modem to work on it.

help????

also: herme3, if you say one thing, i may have to beat your face in with a lead spanner.

http://maven.smith.edu/~vvouille/353b/linux.html for how to use the terminal. To open a terminal you have to use one of the buttons at the bottom of the screen and click the Terminal button. Easy enough.

(USE GOOGLE!)

It either looks like a sea shell or it's a black box.

We've had a quick chat about how to do it on IRC, I think theirs scripts to set it up for you it's just knoppix isn't too well setup so they aren't obviouse :(

I suggest you use a different distro if you plan to run it from a hdd... the benefit of Knoppix is really only the live CD use. Check out Debian or Fedora.

from knoppix.net:

Knoppix is designed & intended to be used as a GNU/Linux LiveCD and not a HD installed Linux distro. A HD installed Knoppix will give you a running GNU/Linux system but it is not easy to support or administrate and add/remove of software is complicated and is best left to GNU/Linux experts.

I suggest you use a different distro if you plan to run it from a hdd... the benefit of Knoppix is really only the live CD use. Check out Debian or Fedora.

from knoppix.net:

I'd also recomend a look at ubuntu. And possibly distrowatch.com

Things to look at:

-Package management, how updates are done, how they supply software

-Hardware support, most distros will give a list of supported architectures although this might not be a finite list

-Updates/product life cyle, how offten are proper upgrades released, 2 - 3 times a year for fedora, every year or 2 for debian, every 6 months for ubuntu, how long the versions are supported for whether this is a long time after the next release etc...

-Whether it does what you want, does it have well packaged 3d modeling software if thats what you want etc...

oh! so proud of you!

i have been running linux for around 4 months now. It just takes time, buddy. When I first started I didnt know a thing. I actually had to reformat my computer two or three times. It is all worth it though. I use Mandriva, and i love it! Strongly recommend it.

The terminal window is yoru best friend!

fagel came over to my house today and installed Knoppix on my computer. he didn't tell me a thing about how to operate it. i don't know any commands and i don't know how to enter said commands even if i know them.

i also don't know how to get my cable modem to work on it.

help????

Hmm... So those other operating systems aren't as good as you thought they would be... :D

Go find your Windows restore disc.

He didn't say he didn't like it, he just doesn't know how to work with it. You can't expect an OS to work perfectly the first time you boot up.

Windows XP worked perfectly. In fact, I was very impressed the first time I started Windows XP.

I'm getting really, really fed up with these threads being hijacked. This thread has NOTHING to do with Windows. It is a simple discussion of how to use basic features in Linux. If you havent got anything to contribute to this discussion then don't.

I'll be issuing warning points for those who wish to continue to ignore me.