BMI for safe visceral fat?

tim.tdj

3 hours ago, tim.tdj said:

Hi Everyone

Does anyone here know what BMI value you have to get below in order to absolutely guarantee that you do not have a harmful amount of fat in or around any of your organs?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

Look at your belly. I know that's not a number but If you can pinch an inch or less you should be ok.

Edited by StringJunky

20 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Look at your belly. I know that's not a number but If you can pinch an inch or less you should be ok.

@tim.tdj was asking about TOFI (thin-outside-fat-inside).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI

"To classify an individual as TOFI, it is essential to measure their internal fat content. This is done by using magnetic resonance Imaging (MRI) or CT scanning.:"

On 11/23/2018 at 5:59 PM, StringJunky said:

11 hours ago, Sensei said:

@tim.tdj was asking about TOFI (thin-outside-fat-inside).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI

"To classify an individual as TOFI, it is essential to measure their internal fat content. This is done by using magnetic resonance Imaging (MRI) or CT scanning.:"

Hi StringJunky and Sensei

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Yes, Sensei. I was thinking about TOFI when I made the original post.

The lower end of the BMI scale in the study mentioned in the Wikipedia article Sensei linked to is 20. I have actually recently been on a diet which in the last half year (approx) has so far taken my BMI from about 24 to 19.7 so I think I may now be safe. I don't know though. I rather wish that the study had included as a group the range 18.5 to 20.

I have found a link to the study. It is as follows:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225060033_Excess_body_fat_in_obese_and_normal-weight_subjects

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

10 minutes ago, tim.tdj said:

Hi StringJunky and Sensei

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Yes, Sensei. I was thinking about TOFI when I made the original post.

The lower end of the BMI scale in the study mentioned in the Wikipedia article Sensei linked to is 20. I have actually recently been on a diet which in the last half year (approx) has so far taken my BMI from about 24 to 19.7 so I think I may now be safe. I don't know though. I rather wish that the study had included as a group the range 18.5 to 20.

I have found a link to the study. It is as follows:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225060033_Excess_body_fat_in_obese_and_normal-weight_subjects

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

I think a big contributor to visceral fat is fructose, so restricting that in your diet is probably a good idea. Table sugar has it in in.

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I think a big contributor to visceral fat is fructose, so restricting that in your diet is probably a good idea. Table sugar has it in in.

Hi SringJunky

Thank you very much for your advice.

I am on keto so hopefully my current sugar intake is below the danger level.

Kind regards

Tim

23 hours ago, tim.tdj said:

No, you should go to MRI, to verify internal fat in your body. From plain BMI you cannot get enough information about it.