Particle Physics=Matter/energy?

pljames

:mad: I understand basic science. I have ask this science question twice to no avail. This is not a JOKE! Physicists state our universe and everything in it including our planet and ourselves are made out of matter/energy. Theredore we humans are solid biological matter/energy. if that is the case then, Question one, how does the energy that forms a tree, sky,or person know how to do that? Or Does matter=energy have a intelligence to do that?

Maybe you do not understand the question? It is a secular science question

right? pljames

Energy and matter obay rules, science is the development and discovery of these rules. So it is not intelligence it is just following rules... If what I've said makes any sence to anyone I'd like to know because I'm quire sure I'm talking rubbish like normal :s

Well, I wouldn't say that they're mathematical as such. You can express physical laws in terms of mathematics because it's often useful to do so. The reverse is not necessarily true.

[/offtopic]

as words...

Pauli exclusion principle for example is easiest expressed as words' date=' which states that no two [u']identical[/u] fermions may occupy the same quantum state.

And you can define all those terms you've used without any math ?

identicle: interchangeable

fermion: A particle, such as an electron, proton, or neutron, having half-integral spin (do you consider half-integral as maths?)

quantum state: anypossible state a quantum mechanical system can be in, designated by a complete set of quantum numbers.

I supose it depends on your deffinition of maths, is "I have 2 apples" maths?

Yes, half-integral is math. If you have a number, it is math.

On topic:

I think you are looking at it too "big". The electrons and quarks are made out strings, maybe, and all strings are are little vibrating loops of energy. This means that anything made up of electrons and quarks is made from energy.

Right, so, DNA is coded protein, and protein "tells" cells what to do. Since protein is made of atoms, it is made of energy.

Everything is just reactions according to the ruls of chemistry and applications of the four fundemental forces. Matter/energy doesn't have intelligence, but the things it forms follow rules that cause the matter to react and form things in diffrent ways.

identicle: interchangeable

fermion: A particle' date=' such as an electron, proton, or neutron, having half-integral spin (do you consider half-integral as maths?)

quantum state: anypossible state a quantum mechanical system can be in, designated by a [u']complete[/u] set of quantum numbers.

I supose it depends on your deffinition of maths, is "I have 2 apples" maths?

Let's see you explain completeness without math.

Let me define completeness as used by you :

A Metric Space is said to be complete if every Cauchy Sequence converges in the space.

That (completeness) is what makes an Inner Product space a Hilbert Space, and it is in this Hilbert space that a vector describing a quantum state lives.

:mad: I understand basic science. I have ask this science question twice to no avail. This is not a JOKE! Physicists state our universe and everything in it including our planet and ourselves are made out of matter/energy. Theredore we humans are solid biological matter/energy. if that is the case then' date=' Question one, how does the energy that forms a tree, sky,or person know how to do that? Or Does matter=energy have a intelligence to do that?

right? pljames[/quote']

I think your question is very important. Matter seems to have properties that allow it to contain information when in a certain organization/structure. Atoms form molecules, molecules form more complex molecules until there's the DNA molecule which contains information that allows it to replicate in its environment. Then the process of evolution takes over and the DNA molecules improve their information. How this information is stored is a matter of complex chemical codes that we are still trying to decode.

So, to answer your question, it's not intelligence that matter/energy possesses, but its properties that arise from its structure are the basis of real intelligence.

I think your question is very important. Matter seems to have properties that allow it to contain information when in a certain organization/structure. Atoms form molecules' date=' molecules form more complex molecules until there's the DNA molecule which contains information that allows it to replicate in its environment. Then the process of evolution takes over and the DNA molecules improve their information. How this information is stored is a matter of complex chemical codes that we are still trying to decode.

So, to answer your question, it's not intelligence that matter/energy possesses, but its properties that arise from its structure are the basis of real intelligence.[/quote']

PlJames....you got some great answers including the above one.

I hope you're still not sporting an angry face.

You had a great question.

Just my 2 cents.

When we think about matter/energy in a certain way it can appear that matter/energy is doing things with intelligence, but it appears that way because of our intelligence. If one thinks energy is intelligent that's a projection rather then energy saying "Hey I'm doing this because It's part of my master plan"

Make any sense? I hope so...

best,

Eon.

PS. It's just my 2 cents, nothing more.

BTW....others might say that matter/energy is intelligent and I've heard some say that intelligence is GOD.

I can't say that view is right or wrong.

Others might, but I think you need to make up your own mind after much study. Good luck. It will work out fine.

:mad: I understand basic science. I have ask this science question twice to no avail. This is not a JOKE! Physicists state our universe and everything in it including our planet and ourselves are made out of matter/energy. Theredore we humans are solid biological matter/energy. if that is the case then' date=' Question one, how does the energy that forms a tree, sky,or person know how to do that? Or Does matter=energy have a intelligence to do that?

right? pljames[/quote']

Energy is equal to the mass of an atom, multiplied by a value equal to the speed of light, and then multiplied by the speed of light again. (Personally I don't quite work out how the individual units of distance/time/joules/mass all fit together, but I'm not that smart.)

Atoms that are arranged into molecules such as DNA and grow into cells, these cells can arrange other molecules into arrangements identical to their own. "To grow and reproduce"

The form of a tree, or a fish, is derived from the pattern that the DNA has arranged into, by a process where patterns that could work survived and proliferated, where as 'broken' DNA that didn't have much function, wasn't able to make other atoms into strands like itself.

This is what evolution was all about, the only intelligence that directed the form of shapes for life, were the rules that meant if a cell could survive in it's environment to full advantage, and was able to make other cells like itself.

I hope that helps to answer your question, if there's anything else I'd be happy to try and elaborate. :)

:) Dear Quantum Mechanics friends,

Thank you for all your answers. They were all extremely helpful. I love this forum I have learned more from this forum that of books. I also learn form the science channel as well. I am extremely grateful for this forum and you. Thanks! pljames :)

The fact is, no one knows how say a flower organizes millions of atoms and molecules and chemical/electromagnetic processes to hold itself together and look pretty, as well as make copies of itself.

Physics and Chemistry at best offers a few simplex examples of 'self-organization' at low levels, like crystals growing without control (other than environmental constraints like temperature etc.). Or enzymes being able to fit together like locks and keys, thus regulating chemical reactions that depend upon environmental catalyst-sites.

It is guessed or presumed that higher, more complex laws govern whole phenomenae like 'life' and 'evolution'. But this is at best hand-waving and posturing given the current state of biological science. The answer *could* be that atoms and molecules can organize themselves into living creatures, but this seems incredible to some philosophers. There is no need to abandon your religion just yet.

The fact is, no one knows how say a flower organizes millions of atoms and molecules and chemical/electromagnetic processes to hold itself together and look pretty, as well as make copies of itself.

i seem to remember this thing called biology