Need help with a presentation about wastewater treatment modelling

Hello, I have to prepare a presentation about wastewater treatment modelling but I have some trouble. First of all, I do not really know what it means. Secondly, I do not know what topics I should talk about. I tried googling it but there are so many different resources and I do not know where to start. What I need to do is make a basic presentation and not go in to small details. Can you suggest me the things to put in my presentation? 

2 hours ago, gugisisloco1337 said:

Hello, I have to prepare a presentation about wastewater treatment modelling but I have some trouble. First of all, I do not really know what it means. Secondly, I do not know what topics I should talk about. I tried googling it but there are so many different resources and I do not know where to start. What I need to do is make a basic presentation and not go in to small details. Can you suggest me the things to put in my presentation? 

A presentation?

To whom? For what purpose? Is this homework?

If you don't know and can't be bothered to look them up or at least give us a clue here, why should anyone else bother?

What do you mean by wastewater?

The effluent from an industrial plant say the washing out water from a concrete works, or the wastewater from a paper mill or wool mill?

Or do you mean sewage?

Or do you mean so called grey water?

And what do you want to treat it for?
What are you going to do with the treated water?

Then one might ask what aspect are you interested in during a short presentation about modelling the treatment?

The (Bio)Chemistry?

The Fluid Dynamics?

The Structural and Mechanical Engineering of the plant?

The ecological and environmental aspects?

The classic textbook on Nos 2 and 3 is

Water and Wastewater Engineering

Professor Carey

Dublin University

Edited by studiot

Yes, a presentation for school. I have never heard about this, this is practically new to me. I am sorry to say that I cannot say anything more about this, that is why I need help. Our teacher gives us topics to make presentations, most of those we need for our tests like there was a presentation about DNA and RNA, about polymers and protein, carbohydrates and so on. In short he only gives us these topics and what we do with them is up to us. Believe me, I tried doing research myself but there is so much that I don't know what should I include in the presentation, not to mention that I am Latvian and I tried searching about this in Latvian as well but I came up with nothing. I know what you are talking about when you say grey water, sewage but the title of the presentation is just ''Wastewater treatment modelling'' and that's it. I do not know what is important when it comes to wastewater treatment modelling that is why I need some help. Half of the stuff on the internet I cannot understand because there are so many scientific terms that don't really translate well, I'd have to get a super duper dictionary for that. I am sorry, I might seem desperate and I am. I just want some tips maybe. Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, gugisisloco1337 said:

Yes, a presentation for school. I have never heard about this, this is practically new to me. I am sorry to say that I cannot say anything more about this, that is why I need help. Our teacher gives us topics to make presentations, most of those we need for our tests like there was a presentation about DNA and RNA, about polymers and protein, carbohydrates and so on. In short he only gives us these topics and what we do with them is up to us. Believe me, I tried doing research myself but there is so much that I don't know what should I include in the presentation, not to mention that I am Latvian and I tried searching about this in Latvian as well but I came up with nothing. I know what you are talking about when you say grey water, sewage but the title of the presentation is just ''Wastewater treatment modelling'' and that's it. I do not know what is important when it comes to wastewater treatment modelling that is why I need some help. Half of the stuff on the internet I cannot understand because there are so many scientific terms that don't really translate well, I'd have to get a super duper dictionary for that. I am sorry, I might seem desperate and I am. I just want some tips maybe. Thanks. 

Well this is a great deal better as it sets the scene.

You have now found out that the subject is too huge to fit it all into a small presentation.

So you need to narrow it down to one area.

You choose.

You also say modelling.

A model must predict something. That is what it is for.

So how about the environmental effect of the waste cooling water from a power station, (not neccessarily nuclear)?

You could find out how much waste water is produced.

Then findout how much water flows down some river or rivers.

Then you model could show how much thermal pollution discharging the wastewater to the river produces and predict the temperature rise of the river water in the locality of the power station.

You could then discuss whether this is important.

Your model could also say what is the maximum discharge for the health of given fish or other species in the river.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

So how about the environmental effect of the waste cooling water from a power station, (not neccessarily nuclear)?

You could find out how much waste water is produced.

Then findout how much water flows down some river or rivers.

Then you model could show how much thermal pollution discharging the wastewater to the river produces and predict the temperature rise of the river water in the locality of the power station.

You could then discuss whether this is important.

Your model could also say what is the maximum discharge for the health of given fish or other species in the river.

This confuses me, my bad. Is waste cooling water the same as just wastewater? Should I  look at a specific power station and the river in which it is stationed? How do I even study a power station, do they have a site where you can check these kinds of things or you have to dig something up on the net? What do you mean by ''discharge''? Sorry about these questions.

I don't mind sensible questions.

Discharge is the correct term for the flow rate of water - clean or dirty - 

Discharge is measured in litres per second or cubic metres per second.

That is it is the volumetric flow rate. (by volume)

So the cooling water from the power station is water they have finished with ie it is waste in this process.

But what you haven't told me is why you posted this in inorganic chemistry.

Nor have you said what subject this model if for.

Much of the dirty water we generate is contaminated (made dirty) by organic material.

Nor have you said anything about the model aspect.
Did you understand my explanation of why I suggested a power station?

You can surely google questions like 'average amount of water used in a power station?' and find some power stations on some river and google say ' river flow of river Trent'?

Then your model could be a simple calculation mixing X amount of cooling water with Y amount of river water.

14 hours ago, gugisisloco1337 said:

Can you suggest me the things to put in my presentation? 

Start from reading Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastewater

Make a list of various types of wastewater (make graph with arrows "wastewater -> [type 1 ] -> [type 2] etc.). And what is done to clean them. e.g. you can show what compounds are pollutants of various types of wastewater, what reagents and which reactions are used to bind them and filter out. You could show mechanical separation methods, chemical separation methods, biological separation methods.

Your presentation has to be slide show of the real pages of paper? Video? PowerPoint (or similar).. ?

10 hours ago, gugisisloco1337 said:

How do I even study a power station, do they have a site where you can check these kinds of things or you have to dig something up on the net?

Start from Wikipedia articles (Google keyword + "wikipedia" to show them first on the list), in English version, because they're typically more descriptive than local languages.

You could also show what can happen if various types of wastewater won't be properly cleaned up. e.g. agricultural wastewater can accelerate grow of algae in a sea or ocean.. Show reason why it should be done and what are dangers of not doing it.

Edited by Sensei

• 1 month later...

A key word is Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOP)!

This can bring the concept of radical generation (like the hydroxyl radical, sulfate radical, ClO2, products from ozone and water, oxygen acting on transition metals creating reactive oxygen species like perhydroxyl radical, superoxide radical anion,..) to bear on breaking down pollutants and the like.

Photolysis, electrolysis, sonolysis, radiation treatment, high temperatures, ...can provide paths to radical formation.

Redox reactions can create radicals also (research Fenton reaction, Fenton-type reactions, Electro-Fenton, Photo-Fenton,..).

Here is a link to a pdf: http://nuicone.org/site/common/proceedings/Chemical/poster/CH_33.pdf .

Edited by AJ999
added Link