Dome House Kayak Trip(w/photos)

Endy0816

Recently did a kayaking trip out to the Dome House of Cape Romano. Pretty proud of myself, went further than before and managed my first overnighter via kayak.

Dome House itself is interesting. Built back in the 80's and later abandoned. Coastline has since changed and now the Domes sit offshore.

domehome2-930x607.jpg

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/06/12/the-mysterious-dome-homes-marching-into-the-sea-before-after/

Approaching the house. Number of folks out for the day and there was even a tour boat at one point.

JeEjJeM.jpgl59rvjx.jpg

Close up. Floors are all gone at this point. Would have liked to take some interior shots but didn't want to chance catching on something.

ohYZa3t.jpg

Thought this one was particularly cool. Can almost see it as an ancient temple sinking beneath the waves.

2cjUHiw.jpg

Shots of my faithful steed and my home for the night. Found a nice little spot, ideal for camping.

Ys4ffr2.jpgUYwecM4.jpg

Sunset.

AmQftkg.jpgoipoC7O.jpg

Good trip. Longer and most adventurous trip I've done so far about 12 miles. Somewhat nervous about ending up the in the Ten Thousand Islands area, but hugged one side going out and the other coming back and was fine.

Saw a shark. That was a first for me actually. Left me alone so all good.

Packing was... interesting... Reminded me of backpacking but with the added twist of being out on the ocean. Could definitely bring a small cooler in the future, maybe going vertical to help with the limited space.

Was a nice time. Physically demanding, but definitely nice seeing the Domes in the day and listening to the waves at night.

Oh, well done, you! Thanks very much!

I wonder if Mr Lee had any clue at the time that he was building such an awesome birdhouse? These fancy businessmen and their offshore assets!

39 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Packing was... interesting... Reminded me of backpacking but with the added twist of being out on the ocean. Could definitely bring a small cooler in the future, maybe going vertical to help with the limited space.

Last time I went kayaking I saw a guy with a cooler in its own inflatable rig being towed behind him, like a shadow yacht. Don't know if he made it or bought it. I'm also picturing you in a life vest holding cans of beer the way a hunter's vest holds ammo. 

This is just all kinds of cool, Endy, thanks again!

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Oh, well done, you! Thanks very much!

I wonder if Mr Lee had any clue at the time that he was building such an awesome birdhouse? These fancy businessmen and their offshore assets!

lol, thanks! Apparently there's an active reef under there too.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Last time I went kayaking I saw a guy with a cooler in its own inflatable rig being towed behind him, like a shadow yacht. Don't know if he made it or bought it. I'm also picturing you in a life vest holding cans of beer the way a hunter's vest holds ammo. 

This is just all kinds of cool, Endy, thanks again!

I like the cooler idea :)

Seeing one that looks like a mini-kayak. I think that could work well.