Space and dimensions

interested

Philosophically an idea occurred to me, but not being of a religious nature am not overly keen on it. But "in the beginning god said let there be light". Now if we drop of the god bit and any connection to the old testament, and look at unfolded space in a singularity consisting of perhaps N? dimensions. Space and time do not exist at this singularity in space. For a particle or energy to exist it exists outside of space time ie dimensions and time do not exist. For a photon time does not exist and neither does space, it is only in our space time that it appears to be restricted to c and be given properties. Philosophically could it exist in an extra dimension and just appear in our three D world at a frequency and speed. Bosons can all exist in the same place in space.

https://phys.org/news/2014-05-does-light-experience-time.html

23 minutes ago, interested said:

Philosophically could it exist in an extra dimension and just appear in our three D world at a frequency and speed. 

yep, scientifically speaking, it does; philosophically speaking WTF?

43 minutes ago, interested said:

Philosophically could it exist in an extra dimension and just appear in our three D world at a frequency and speed.

Does that even mean anything?

An extra dimension? So it exists in one dimension and magically appears to us in three dimensions? How does that work?

Philosophy is supposed to be based on the rigorous application of logic. I don’t see much sign of that here. 

16 hours ago, dimreepr said:

yep, scientifically speaking, it does; philosophically speaking WTF?

Could you elaborate on the scientific explanation of the above, or explain philosophically how you arrive at your claim.

4 hours ago, interested said:

Could you elaborate on the scientific explanation of the above, or explain philosophically how you arrive at your claim.

I'm sorry, I was being facetious.

IIRC light is a perturbation of spacetime (4D). I'm sure someone will correct me if I remember incorrectly.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

I'm sorry, I was being facetious.

IIRC light is a perturbation of spacetime (4D). I'm sure someone will correct me if I remember incorrectly.

Dont apologise I was partly taking the piss, and being facile also for mild amusement like yourself and strange?

Thanks for the response :D 

I know no one knows how many actual dimensions there may be. I had asked under speculations to get people to speculate and it hadnt worked so it amused me to try the philosophy section for an answer. I know string theory has additional dimensions, as does everyone else on this forum, but it is still just a theory.

A photon or something travelling at light speed does not perceive time or distance, yet it is observed taking a finite time at light speed to move across 3 D space. Under entanglement and none locality information is transmitted without going through space in excess of light speed, as if the separated points do not perceive delays due to distance. If two seperated points in 3D space are connected via another dimension where space or time do not exist information could be transmitted directly without delay, two particles separated by space may behave as one. 

The concept of a membrane of space with possible extra dimensions and having some form of surface tension as in fluid dynamics is intriguing. If space has a surface tension, the membrane of spacetime could take on many fundamental shapes such as waves, corpuscles, menisci, vortices, and foams. If these basic shapes can be arranged in atoms, molecules, and matter. In other words, everything in the universe may be manufactured from the fabric/membrane of spacetime itself.

String theory requires a membrane with strings which are in effect representations of waves vortices and foams etc. Its the same concept. I was just trying to start a conversation, but clearly have failed yet again. Bugger :)

22 hours ago, Strange said:

An extra dimension? So it exists in one dimension and magically appears to us in three dimensions? How does that work?

Does the above explanation partly explain where I was headed with the thread.

2 minutes ago, interested said:

A photon or something travelling at light speed does not perceive time or distance

That is pretty meaningless. How would a photon "perceive" time, anyway?

The claims seems to be based on bogus physics and mathematics. (Ignoring the fact that a photon does not have a valid frame of reference because that would involve dividing by zero.)

3 minutes ago, interested said:

I had asked under speculations to get people to speculate

That isn't the purpose of the Speculations forum.

16 hours ago, Strange said:

That isn't the purpose of the Speculations forum.

And that is why I thought I would try the philosophy forum to see if anyone had any coherent thoughts they were willing to share, that may be a little outside the other forums. This thread is an offshoot from the space antecedence thread I was told to stop asking questions on. 

What I was asking about there was space, which does not exist without quantum fluctuations. I noted space time only existed after the big bang allowed it to unfold, additional dimensions may also exist (see string theory) . The expansion of space is happening gravity can be viewed as the contraction of space or an inflow of dark energy. I understand QLG allows for the expansion and contraction of space, and BB from Black holes.

The following popped up on a google search when I was checking out dimreeprs statement

19 hours ago, dimreepr said:

light is a perturbation of spacetime

Space has a membrane which has surface tension, the membrane of space time can take on many fundamental shapes such as waves, corpuscles, menisci, vortices, agglomerates, and foams. It is suggested that these basic shapes can be arranged in atoms, molecules, and matter. In other words, everything in the universe may be manufactured from the fabric/membrane of spacetime itself. Matter and energy are connected in a virtual membrane at the interface of observed time.

The above may be due to quantum foam effects/dark energy effects, both of which are a result of quantum fluctuations on the membrane of space

57 minutes ago, interested said:

What I was asking about there was space, which does not exist without quantum fluctuations.

Why are you doing this in Philosophy, rather than Physics? This is typical of your sloppy thinking.

1 hour ago, interested said:

The following popped up on a google search

As you don't give a source, one can't really comment. It looks pretty nonsensical, though. Sounds like you are desperately searching for anything that will support your beliefs. It's almost as if this obsession with "quantum foam" and "space dimensions" is like a religion for you.

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Why are you doing this in Philosophy, rather than Physics? This is typical of your sloppy thinking.

I was asking questions on the physics forum ref space but was informed I was hijacking and told to stop it, so i have

2 hours ago, Strange said:

As you don't give a source, one can't really comment. It looks pretty nonsensical, though. Sounds like you are desperately searching for anything that will support your beliefs. It's almost as if this obsession with "quantum foam" and "space dimensions" is like a religion for you.

I will have another google for the actual paper. I have no beliefs just questions, if you recall any of the threads I started I have no fixed belief, but do have opinions.  

Cross post Edit: here is the paper http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/845/1/012003/pdf 

My opinion is that all the different theories whether they be relativity, QLG, String theory, QFT, Dark energy or quantum foam inflow etc etc all give some insight into how space works

Edited by interested

12 minutes ago, interested said:

I was asking questions on the physics forum ref space but was informed I was hijacking and told to stop it, so i have

Stopping hijacking doesn't mean start posting questions in the wrong place. It means don't post them in someone else's thread about something else. Start your own thread in the right place. How hard is that.

13 minutes ago, interested said:

I have no beliefs just questions, if you recall any of the threads I started I have no fixed belief, but do have opinions.  

You have always been stronger on unsupported claims than questions.

21 minutes ago, Strange said:

Stopping hijacking doesn't mean start posting questions in the wrong place. It means don't post them in someone else's thread about something else. Start your own thread in the right place. How hard is that.

You have always been stronger on unsupported claims than questions.

You are confusing me with someone else, I have generally restricted myself to asking questions. I have checked the answers before asking another question on that subject. I have started a number of threads on related subjects from Quantum entanglement, to Black Holes. Mordred has a good thread on what space is, which seeded some lines of thought in my skull, the space antecedence thread was also interesting and I asked some questions which I thought were not a hijack according to section 2 of the forum rules.