Setting up a FTP

Primarygun

Primarygun, I just setup an FTP using FileZilla. You can get the server

and the client from: http://www.sourceforge.net. I'm still

tweaking the server and yesterday some idiot attempted to get in

through the Administrator interface. I banned the IP from access. I

have it being used by 2 forums so far. Unless there's an objection, I'd

like to allow my fellow members of this board to have access. It's less

than 2 weeks old and I'm new at it. I'm using a 200 GB drive for storage.

My IP is dynamic so I'm using http://www.no-ip.com for the hosting. Any

questions about access please send me a private message.

BTW, both FileZilla and No-Ip are totally FREE !

BTW, both FileZilla and No-Ip are totally FREE !
So is DynDNS. I like their selection of domains better then no-ip. I would look at both of them. The service is the same, so find whatever domain you like the best and go with it.

As for a far better FTP server, look into vsftpd.

Chances are, you probably already have an FTP server. If not, just apt-get, yum, or whatever vsftpd. Much easier then getting a tarball to compile, and quicker.

Another thing to look into is your router. Go to 192.168.2.1 and look for something like virtual servers. Direct trafic from 20 and 21 to your (internal) IP address. You can find that out with ifconfig.

http://www.brennan.id.au/14-FTP_Server.html

If he were using Linux he probably wouldn't try using a FTP client to set up a server ;) . So it puzzles me why people immediately give Linux-specific advice assuming it's the OS everyone is / should be using.

192.168.2.1 doesn't work with everyone...
Hm, I never knew that. The two people I've helped in the past found their router with that address. I did find the combination of numbers kindof weird. So if none of those numbers work for you, Primarygun, then read the instructions for your router ;) A big "problem" most people first get when trying to set up a server is "Well, I can get to it IN my network, but nobody else has access!"
If he were using Linux he probably wouldn't try using a FTP client to set up a server . So it puzzles me why people immediately give Linux-specific advice assuming it's the OS everyone is / should be using.
FYI, clients and servers are two seperate things. If the mozilla thing is a packaged deal then it just installs two applications.

My information applies to any operating systems. VSFTP is, I believe, open source so it shuold run on just about anything with out a lot of over head. I would still recomend it reguardless because it's light and more secure. The commands to get it started would vary per OS but the link I provided should be all he needs in any OS (I'll be it, some of the more advanced stuff may not work if it's not on UNIX).

FYI, clients and servers are two seperate things.

No, really? Good to know. But you might want to read my post again, then you would know that I never claimed otherwise.

My information applies to any operating systems.
If not, just apt-get, yum, or whatever vsftpd. Much easier then getting a tarball to compile, and quicker.

Right. :rolleyes:

we cannot have our own domain by IIS' date=' right?

In order words, if we do not buy or borrow a domain server, our address is 61.223.59.53 .etc[/quote']

Yes but tehre are sites that will give you a blah.theirdomain.com, I belive homedns.org do this.

Just because it's open source doesn't mean it'll work on all os's, and may well require you to install other programs to work on a system it isn't designed for.

we cannot have our own domain by IIS' date=' right?

In order words, if we do not buy or borrow a domain server, our address is 61.223.59.53 .etc[/quote']

Not if you have a static IP. Many registrars allow you to point the domain to an IP of your choosing.

Join IRC. It's great. All the 1337 kids idle there.

http://www.radiohead.is-a-geek.org/

Radiohead's signature is what disturbed me in this thread. I mean, back in 96 or so you wouldn't have idlers cause their modem would get kicked off.

Now if everyone on IRC had a dial up modem and was on, I would consider them leet. Even to start talking intelligently and throwing out thing I don't understand would impress me. Deviantart was an interesting IRC Chat.