Question about temperature and materials

Let's say you have a slab of material of thickness (x) and one side is exposed to a temperature. I need an equation that represents what the temperature will be on the other side of the slab. I assume you need to take into account the material properties, such as optical thickness or opacity etc.

I'm trying to understand how you represent the temperature on the others side of a material if one side is heated.

Or lets say you have a pan made of material m and thickness x. If you heat the pan to 100degrees on the outside. What termperature will water in the pan feel?

Heat transfers in three ways, conduction, convection, and radiation. Some temperature exists within and around the material of thickness (x). You are heating one side to heat water on the other (or on the inside). The amount of heat you are adding to the system is important, and the temperature on both sides of the material. The thermal conductivity is important, and the heat loss by conduction, convection and radiation. Convection is greater when air moves over a surface, so air velocity is over the material is important. Color and other things affect heat loss or gain by radiation; thus, you need the temperature of the walls and everything in the room, and their ability to radiate or absorb radiation. Calculating real world heat loss is not impossible, but is difficult to do accurately. Homework problems are usually simplified by considering "ideal" conditions.

Edited by EdEarl

1 hour ago, JackyJay said:

If you heat the pan to 100degrees on the outside. What termperature will water in the pan feel?

Hello, Jacky and welcome to ScienceForums.

I don't know if this is a homework question or a 'find out project' or something else?

Whatever it does not belong in the Modern and Theoretical Physics section either Classical Physics, Engineering or Amateur or Other Sciences or Homework help as appropriate.

Whatever what are your thoughts on what is happening to your pan of water?