Chemicals that burn at low temperatures....

ThermiteMan

According to my teacher Dr. Istone who has a PHD in Chemistry, there is a mixture of chemicals that when ignited burn at a low enough temperature for the skin to withstand it. He used to be a Chemical Magician (one of his 100's of jobs) and one of the tricks he did was ignite the mixture on his arms and walk around while on fire. One of the characteristics of the flame is that the color is a blue tint. Please help me because my teacher was going to show us this demonstration but we ran out of time at the end of the year. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

:eek: ThermiteMan :eek:

My high school chemistry teacher told me about the different demos she used to do. She doesnt do them anymore because she doesnt trust most of the kids, and because of the ridiculous safety requirements. My teacher trusts me, but she didnt tell me what it was that she used. I started a thread on this subject a while ago, its called "Flash Point".

A little off topic, but I dont like some of the new safety thingies...example, using H2O2 to make oxygen instead of KCLO3. H2O2 isnt as fun or exciting as KCLO3

Yeah, and the schools don't do esterification anymore because you would have to use OMG OH SO DANGEROUS CONC. SULFURIC ACID...the HORROR!

My chem teacher let us use some hazardous chems, like lead nitrate in one lab. None of the other classes were allowed to use phenolphthalien, but we were. Reason according to the other chem teachers: It's a laxative and someone will be dumb and accidentaly ingest it. My chem teacher, Dr. Istone, just informed us that it was a laxative and that it would be quite unwise to ingest it. The other classes weren't even allowed to burn magnesium. What are these other chem teachers afraid of?

I know Dr. Istone would have let us have even more fun had it not been for regulatory laws. For things that regs said we couldn't touch, he did some good demos. Like conc. sulfuric acid decomposing sugar and the reaction between aluminum and iodine.

I'm jealous of his sulfuric acid. It's crystal clear and syrupy and all I can find is colored crap contaminated with buffers.

Actualy, esterification isn't made in high school labs not because of the sulfuric acid, but because a great number of complete retards take the product and inhale it to get high. Teachers generally won't say 'we can't do that because it can get you high' as they don't want to give out any ideas, but that's the general gist of it. (BTW, in case any complete idiots are reading this, getting 'high' by sniffing esters is like sniffing rubber cement to get high. The chances of you dropping dead are VERY high when you do that).

eighth grade chem was rediculous. I think the coollest thing she did was when she lit a balloon filled with H2. I stil cant believe she's teaching chem and has never seen Mg burn before.

yah u knwo at our school the safety requierments are nil we were doing glyserina nd potassium permaganate demos allong with mnay conc sulphiric acid experiments that even the students did. some kid found some sodium ina closet once and the had to cancel using it in demos as aan alkali metal

My school let me use the 5mol l^-1 H2SO4 that they buy it in to make my own solutions of "safer" *cough*... *cough* sulphuric acid (the name of H2SO4 for those non chemistry types) for my project. But then again i was in the senior year and doing the advanced higher (kind of like the first year in uni but without the big labs and stuff since its in a highschool) so all the retards and neds(chav's , townies, whatever) had either left or were in lower classes. they actually let me use it unsupervised *grins evilly*

sorry i was being attcked by typo bunnies.... our school has barely any safety requirements. we used conc.

H2SO4, HCl, burning magnesium... a demo backa bit was a fiery mixture of potassium permaganate and glycerin. our teacher has even shown us some reactions of the alkali metals such as sodium with water. our school is off the hook!