Gravity and Speed

Guest caulfield01

Guest caulfield01

If say a 1 tonne wieght and a coin were both dropped off a 100 meter tall building at the same time would they both hit the ground at the same time?

If yes what is this law called?

thanks

'']Why would the tall building be on the moon?
No air resistance, as insane_alien posted at the same time.

(And maybe an old memory from my childhood where an astronaut dropped a feather and a weight on the Moon, in black & white TV-News.)

The thread title is "Gravity and Speed" - nothing about air resistance, but on Earth their speed would be depending on their individual air resistance and not their weight, so I just suggested the Moon, a close body without atmosphere (almost), where they would hit the ground at the same time.

You could of course drain an elevator shaft from air, or do the test in some other large vacuum camber, here on Earth with the same result.

If say a 1 tonne wieght and a coin were both dropped off a 100 meter tall building at the same time would they both hit the ground at the same time?

If yes what is this law called?

thanks

No

If they are the same shape and density the 1 tonne weight hits first.

I think the law is reckless endangerment and you go to jail. :D

No

I'm not sure I'm reading you right. If there is no air resistance, then they will hit the ground at the same time. In other words, if you have two identically spheres, one solid and made of pure lead, and you drop them in an environment devoid of air, they'll hit at the same time.

I'm not sure what happens when they are the same shape but in an atmosphere. I think that's where the difference comes to play.

No

Two objects of identicle dimentions of different densities are effected in an identifle way by air resistance, but due to different densities have a different mass, and hit the ground at the same time. Unless there is some weird gravitaional anomaly which is effecting one of the, which is highly unlikely.

I belive this is called the universality of free fall... Although I'm not entirely sure.

No

I think the 1 tonne weight DOES hit first but only by an immeasurably small amount. For all practical purposes they hit at the same time.

No

It's a 1 tonne weight and a coin... If we take air resistance out of it, what do shape and density have to do with it?