Punching

Sorry not replied earlier but have been busy doing website stuff.

There are several methods involved in creating a powerful punch the first is training for muscle strength and this is from the first third of Siu Lim Tao, the exercise of pushing the wrist out along the centreline in a Fook Sau position then drawing it back to the Wu Sau.

The slow tense movements not only develops the muscles of the shoulder and the arms, the circling (huen sau) develops the forearm muscels which hold the wrist strong through the punching contact.

I think differently to most as I believe the whole of the shoulder unit should be in tension, so what we are doing is a dynamic tension exercise while the elbow is being trained to come in behind the structure of the punch.

The second section of the form deals with learning to express the energy that you have from the first by practicing relaxation into tension in the last 6 inches of techniques, this is applied in your basic punching, with time this will evolve into tension at the point of contact or the "Inch Punch".

Once the understanding of the mechanics shoulder unit is developed, the next exercises that needs to be addressed are the turning stance and the stepping stance from the second form Chum Kiu. These are isolating the muscles that operate the drive of the legs and the turning of the hips.

From Biu Gee we learn the lifting energy from the floor and the extension of the shoulder.

Wall bag training and Dummy work give us knowledge of reactant energies.

You learn from the wall bag training not by hitting the wallbag hard but by being aware of the involvement of the muscles and the feeling of tension through the point of contact. The Wing Chun punch is a mixture of hard and soft energies, the initial contact is soft, that is depending on the weight of the arm only and the velocity that it is travelling, the secret to a heavy punch is to simultaneously bring in the twitch energies of the other components, leg/hip/stomach/back/shoulder.

Once you have understood these individually from the exaggerated abstract movements of the forms you put them together to give you a weapon that can be used without seeming to move, kinetic energy has nothing to do with how far something has travelled only how fast a mass is travelling.

I know it is a bit confusing if you don't know Wing Chun but ask and I will endeavour to inform.

Take care and keep smiling TJ

Hey I have a question, I've always been interested in martial arts, I did it for a while as a kid. I quit but I still pratice alone. Problem is that I started weightlifting in college and I've done that for 1.5 -2 years. Now when I punch its very hard, and sometime its feel weird like it going to pop out my elbow. It's annoying because it freaks me out. Same thing with my knees. It feels like it will give out, I can never practice to my fullest.

So is that normal?

What you need to be careful of is the alignment of the joints as you are hitting things, the structure you were using in weightlifting is probably slightly different to that while punching and when energy is put in the system it will search for weaknesses and if the elbow and knees are out of alignment they will become excessively stresses, my advice would be to retrain the punching process gradually, relaxed at first with little power so that you can feel where the weaknesses are and relearn how to bring the joints into the strongest structure through the collision of contact.

Take care and keep smiling TJ

• 2 weeks later...

hello

having earlier in my life learned a number of soft and hard stlyes of martial arts (hard being those systems like karate and tae kwon do, while soft includes wing chung, kempo, certain kung fu styles) thought i'd add my two cents. different hand positions, knuckle strikes, ridge hand, palm, etc are used for attacks to different body targets and can depend on how you wish the force of your blow to be distributed and in which direction you wish the force to travel.

as this is a science forum i believe it is force = mass x speed. so a 250 lbs fellow punching at 1 meter per second, would deliever the same force as a 125 pound person who could punch at 2 meters per second. however due to the design of the human body speed tends to fall into a range where one person is not going to be able to punch at twice the speed of every one else (though it may sure feel that way at times).

also due to the portion of hand or leg used determines and area of impact, or if you will the focus point of delievery of the force. open palm spreads the force, but delievers damage to a wider area. straight forward knuckle punch less damage area put greater force deliever to a specific point.

but your target also determines how you wish to strike. i believe someone above stated they boxed. i think if you asked them if they wanted to delievery a good liver shot it would tend not to be done with a straight punch, but more likely a hook to the right side, or uppercut to the delievered at the bottom line of the rib cage.

as to telegraphing. your stance can often set what types of attacks you can do from that stance. you know what attacks they can do you know what to look out for, and what you might exploit. also telegraphing refers to tensing. a lot of fighters may tense muscles just before they throw punch, you see them tense you know the punch is coming. combined with the above and depending on how good you are, you'll know where to defend or how to counter. also fighters who develope a sequence of attacks they always use can be telegraphing. figure out they're pattern and you get an advantage.

twisting of the body means putting more of the bodie's weight/mass behind the blow, as does stepping forward while delievering the blow. and you'll see fighters cock back on some punches to create more distance to generate more momentum hence force. just throwing a punch with your arm means the only weight behind it is your arm's.

hey i still remember that training, its just to do a jump side kick now a days i'd need a week to get up speed; and might manage to get high enough to kick you in the shin then promptly crawl away to huff down on an oxygen tank for a few hours.

mr d