what is the likelihood that this universe is a simulation?

mad_scientist

I fail to see your point. You seem to be applying human philosophy/psychology to whatever unknowable creature is running the simulation. Even then, I don't see why that creature would care about the suffering of AI puppets running around in a simulation they run. I definitely don't care about all the AI puppets running around in violent games I play.

If you want an argument against the simulation, all you need is Occam's razor.

The simulation argument assumes that logic still applies in the world of our creators.

I can see a problem insofar as our creators might not be conscious, for my reasoning is psychological: the only impetus for doing anything, including running simulations, is that it is the "better" decision, with "better" referring to the quality of the resultant state of mind. Our creators might function according to natural principles too, but there is no apparent contradiction there. Perhaps the bigger problem is that our creators might be operating solely according to natural principles and without consciousness. We can fathom a simulation without consciousness, so why not a creator without consciousness?

Without consciousness of the creator guaranteed, we have two additional questions. How frequent is consciousness among the simulation-creators, and what is the average number of creators, or layers, since there may be simulations within simulations.

Somebody please correct me if this is not appropriate discussion for a thread in the Physics subforum.

Again, there are no meaningful answers that say anything about the probability of us living in a simulation.

If we are, our creators might not consider us to have consciousness, because, like many humans, they think only their kind can be conscious.

Edited by Bender

What is the likelihood that everyone in the world except yourself was replaced byba lizardperson ten minutes ago wearing a perfect human disguise?

My guess, about the same chance that we are in a simulation.