punk axiom: eventually, love would tear them apart

Alfred001

Most creative arts departments are proverbial hothouses as far as egos go and this group was no exception. They were living proof of that punk axiom: eventually, love would tear them apart. The emotions I saw guaranteed it.

The quote is from this article:

http://www.ireneogrizek.com/curious-case-of-steven-galloway/

... in case anyone is wondering.

Could anyone explain the underlined part? What is the origin of that phrase and what does it mean?

So what does it mean when she quotes that phrase in the article? I'm trying to listen to the lyrics but I can't make out a goddamn thing except love will tear us apart again.

Try this one.

Been trying to figure out a succinct way to give my take on the theme, but the song covers it much better than i can. What it means in the particular context you're after i'm not sure.

Love Will Tear Us Apart

When routine bites hard
And ambitions are low
And resentment rides high
But emotions won't grow
And we're changing our ways, taking different roads

Then love, love will tear us apart again
Love, love will tear us apart again

Why is the bedroom so cold?
You've turned away on your side
Is my timing that flawed?
Our respect runs so dry
Yet there's still this appeal
That we've kept through our lives

But love, love will tear us apart again

You cry out in your sleep
All my failings exposed
And there's a taste in my mouth
As desperation takes hold
Just that something so good just can't function no more

But love, love will tear us apart again

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/16871/

Reading the comments may give you some idea. I don't know the song but I think the idea is that the closer you get, the more familiar you become with each other, so, the more 'warts' you eventually see in each other. The love both causes discontent and inability to separate; a conundrum that many experience.

I find it wryly amusing when one falls in love how a person who was originally just "ok" suddenly becomes perfect and the way they look causes one to wax lyrical and the heart sings when they speak; a vision of beauty/handsomeness. Then, as time passes, and the 'honeymoon' period wanes and commitments have been made, the wallpaper of romantic love slowly peels, revealing the true person underneath. It is then we slowly realise they might not be suited to us, yet, we hang on to that vision of past beauty and it is that, along with the desire not to be alone, which keep them together. So, it's a song about opposing, internal emotional forces causing a state of pernicious, emotional ambivalence between two people. This is my interpretation.

Edited by StringJunky