Skip to content

sethoflagos

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sethoflagos

  1. πŸ˜‚ Apparently, Wroclaw ~ vrot swaff Is that close enough?
  2. My daughter was trying to teach me how to pronounce Wroclaw at the weekend (my son and family live in Warsaw - my daughter visits often)
  3. Round trip was it? πŸ˜‰ Lenin's 'Left wing Socialism: an Infantile Disorder' is quite an interesting read for those interested. He definitely saw the Bolshevik model as very distinct from more orthodox schools of socialist, and even Marxist thought. Largely forgotten now I guess, but it was highly influential in its time and led to quite a reshuffling of the West European left. (Birth of the CPGB among others)
  4. It's a pretty stable part of the world. The O&G reserves have sat there in the Kimmeridge quite happily for 150 million years.
  5. Quite unnecessary, I assure you.
  6. Are you telling me or asking me? Wtf is a shitton?
  7. Not sure how accurate the numbers are. When I was there over thirty years ago, Drax at full load pumped out around 50 million tpa CO2 with the adjacent Eggborough and Ferrybridge together producing a similar amount. How times change.
  8. Some would say that the necessary advanced wave handshaking from absorber to emitter is retrocausal in nature. ie actions in the present being influenced by future microstates. This idea is central to the Transactional Interpretation (TI) of quantum mechanics. The jury is still considering the matter.
  9. ... and I thought it was just a recasting of the algebra of capitalist microeconomics.
  10. The UK government is backing a plan to capture a good part of 12 million tpa CO2 produced by power generators and other industrial produces along the Yorkshire half of the M62 corridor. Disposal will be via the existing coastal gas pipeline infrastructure at Easington out to a subsea saline aquifer. BBC Link PS Primary target is one of my old workplaces
  11. I concur. Leaving aside inundation through rising sea levels, the only way to make non-capital buildings safe from such wind forces would be a total rebuild from the ground up. Save on the demolition costs. Let the hurricane do it.
  12. In my schooldays we were told to spell it 'cello with the apostrophe included. Not a word I write very often despite having a musical background. I guess the apostrophe has gone? I imagine it confused the hell out of the alphabetic sort routines.
  13. Stands to reason. The JWs are obligate proselytisers with much persistence and few scruples over method. From family experience, I know they targetted the deaf community and other vulnerable groups in the UK. I would have thought that even they would realised that there are slim pickings to be had amongst the science community. Honing his debating skills possibly?
  14. Lectures and occasional teaching at Harvard and Cornell; speeches on stuff like slavery to the UN; that's his usual sort of itinerary. Nothing any reasonable person could possibly take exception to.
  15. Nigerian Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka was informed by the US embassy this week that his visa had been revoked. No reason was given. Report here
  16. Personally, I try to be an adult: that is, I choose to take full ownership of my actions, inactions, and their consequences, foreseen or otherwise. If I succeed, I try at least sometimes to give credit to others. If I fail, I blame no one (natural or otherwise) but myself. I understand that their are different paths to take - my wife of 22 years for example, is quite religious, and it doesn't lead to conflict; the diversity of approach can be made into a common strength. However, on my chosen path, there is no place for a either a god or his babble. They simply become irrelevances.
  17. And it's wrong. The bible has no intrinsic meaning of its own; only the meaning you choose to assign to it. Whatever that was you wrote (tldr).
  18. Some time in the mid-sixties, my mother visited a woman in a neighbouring village, taking me along with her. For a while, I was left alone sitting in this exquisitely decorated sitting room too scared to move for fear of knocking over some precious ornament or other. So I just sat there listing to the ticking of an expensive looking carriage clock that had pride of place on the mantlepiece. I began counting the ticks. For some reason, that experience embedded itself so deeply in my memory that I can recall it at will. And I do, even now sixty years on whenever I need to time some activity. Shortly, I'll be making some rotis. They need 40 seconds each side in a dry pan on a medium high gas flame. I'll just put myself back in that room and count the ticking of that carriage clock. Am I really a six or seven year- old boy in some suburban bungalow in Copmanthorpe or wherever it was? No, of course not. It's just a figment of my imagination rekindled by circumstance and amplified by emotional association and habit. Is it 'right' or 'wrong'? Wrong question. It just works for me.
  19. Lifted lock stock and barrel from Gilgamesh. It's someone else's mythology.
  20. Metal screw caps don't work here as corrosion makes them jam fast. I've got a bunch of small (1 litre-ish) wide-necked jars with cork stoppers which I find very handy. But otherwise it's the Kilners. They're wonderful devices really. And burping them each morning during the ferment isn't much of a chore. Actually, it would be a doddle to fit a length of 5 mm flexible pipe on those cork stoppers. Loop it with a couple of cable ties for an airlock and Bob's your uncle. Bet I could make them fit the Kilners too. Why didn't this occur to me months ago? Of course, 4 mm OD silicone air hose would be perfect! Now all I need to do is find someone who services pneumatic equipment and cadge some of their stock. How much can a couple of metres of that cost? Bottle of Jack Daniels?
  21. Or just let the float rise and fall as necessary, like a floating roof tank for storage of flammable liquids. Add a smaller diameter insert inside the base of the pipe, drop in a suitably sized ball bearing and hey presto, we have a pretty good non-return valve to let the CO2 out without letting any O2 in. Should work very well.
  22. As with @Sensei 's fermentation airlock (as if I wasn't using them 50 years ago for brewing my own beerπŸ™„), I'm not going to blow a month's pension trying to DHL alcohol related merchandise into the Islamic end of a country with a customs service that makes the orange one look like a novice street corner hustler. Look, I know it's difficult for people who've not lived in a place like this to understand, but many things you take for granted, and don't even consider not being available when you want them, just aren't available here. So bear with me. When I say something is a 'logistical challenge', I mean that it may as well be fabricated from unobtainium βš’οΈ PS Did that sound a bit rantish? Actually, I'm just chilling out on the balcony with a ciggie or two and a little nightcap to see me off to the Land of Nod. In late October, wearing just shorts and sandals. Life's good. No issues at all with you just pipping me to the post at the last minute in yesterday's rep race. I'm way above that kind of pettiness. Honestly. Pleased for you actually. πŸ˜‰
  23. I've just discovered that those glass cups fit my small 1 litre Kilner jars as well, so I've evicted some lime pickle elsewhere and used one to ferment some okra I've been unsure of what to do with. Okra floats so for sure, the vegetable oil barrier is going to be less effective. So +1 for steering me towards a workable solution for that one.
  24. Really? I was under the impression that 500,000 Scoville was lethal to Lactobacilli etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions β†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.