Revive Brain Dead People?

EdEarl

Scientists get the green light to resurrect the dead with stem cells

Bioquark a biotech company based in the United States, has been given the go-ahead to begin research on 20 brain-dead patients, in an attempt to stimulate and regrow neurons and, literally, bring the patients back from the dead.

The idea is fantastic, and may create controversy. I imagine Hollywood will try to capitalize on this research with a renewal of zombie movies. I can't think of any ethical reasons not to do the research (i.e., try to revive the 20 patients). On the other hand, if revived patients do not recover memories and must be trained as an infant, it may be best to let brain dead people die, because affected families might be stressed beyond their ability to cope. Hope I never have to make a decision about a brain dead person.

I would be rather annoyed. How I love those little slices of death we call sleep and the big one is yet to come. :)

For myself, the idea is beyond the pale and not something I would wish for, having lived up to this point in my life.

Edited by StringJunky

On the other hand, if revived patients do not recover memories and must be trained as an infant, it may be best to let brain dead people die, because affected families might be stressed beyond their ability to cope.

I don't think what the families feel is the most relevant point here.

If the patient is resuscitated but has no memories, and is essentially an infant, is it really even the same person? Memories aside, would personality be the same, and if not, would that person be entitled to the same life as before if they recovered fully?

And now if you think about the families, how do you stem the resentment that's inevitable when different people walk out of the hospital in Ed and Mary's clothing?

There could be battles among family over whether to use the procedure or not. Usually one person, a spouse, has the legal right to make decisions for an incompetent person. If some of a family want the procedure and others don't, then the decision, a decision would make some family members unhappy or worse.

If the brain dead person has money, then the decision maker may elect to keep the dead person alive to control the money, regardless of family feelings and patient welfare; legal battles are likely.

There could be battles among family over whether to use the procedure or not. Usually one person, a spouse, has the legal right to make decisions for an incompetent person. If some of a family want the procedure and others don't, then the decision, a decision would make some family members unhappy or worse.

If the brain dead person has money, then the decision maker may elect to keep the dead person alive to control the money, regardless of family feelings and patient welfare; legal battles are likely.

"Hello Pandora, and what do we have in the box today?" :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.