Can bacteria or algae feed the world?

Can bacteria feed the world soon, and become 10,000 times more abundant than agriculture, enabling vertical farming that GROWS IN THE DARK?
TED TALK:
June 2016 business article:

I've also seen TED Talks that claim algae could end up being 1000 times more land efficient than current agriculture, and that's if we learn to eat it directly ourselves, possibly 3d printing it into artificial meat?

Anyone know if there is progress in these areas?

But there's also algae to food via fish, which is already happening in Australia:

* traditional aquaculture trawls the oceans for by-catch to munch up and feed to captive fish
* this system replaces ocean feedstock with microorganisms grown in nearby tanks
* Or it can be grown in the prawn farm’s own prawn ponds in the 6 month off season
* half the world’s seafood is farmed, so if we eventually replace unsustainble by-catch feedstocks with sustainably grown feedstock pellets, the oceans may get a chance to recover
* it increases marginal prawn farms to profitable prawn farms because the prawns grow 40% larger and are healthier
* increased health gains mean more prawns can be grown in closer proximity
* more prawns in each pond increases production & profits,=
* spin off’s not listed on the show but that I am considering are possible increases in our understanding of micro-plankton or algae growth for feedstocks for other industries.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s3984247.htm

There are millions of species, each with unique cells; we know how a few hundred or thousand taste. Ambrosia may yet be discovered.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but 3D printing food seems like it would take the fun out of cooking. If 3D printing merely replaces the fast food industry, it will be a disservice to humanity. I think we should eat an apple instead of a doughnut.

I think you should eat an apple if you are over weight, peckish or haven't had enough fruit or veg for the day. I think you should eat the doughnut if you are planning on running a marathon later in the day or week.

If we were both stranded on an island and we had a box float ashore with a doughnut and an apple - you can have the apple and I'll take the doughnut then. :) I think it depends on your reason for eating - an apple wont fulfil your calorie needs for the day.

I think natural foods like apples are better and better for you, but I like a doughnut once in a while as a treat. Some people fare well on a fast food diet, and might do well with 3D printed diet. But, I personally feel the stuff is a poor substitute for good food (e.g., apples), including things like yogurt, cheese, and spirulina (i.e., microbes, including bacteria, yeast and fungus).

Sugar wise not much difference between an apple and doughnut. Only about double the calories.

Printed foods don't have to use bad ingredients though. Load it with Splenda if you like. Will be more about using custom and/or downloaded designs in combination with conventional cooking.

A number of microbes we eat are fed plant sugars. Main concern at present.

Edited by Endy0816

:) ...and you get vitamins from the jam of course! ;-) mmm... ....nom nom nom! Thinking doughnuts for tea! Haven't had one in months... had about 1 this year so far. lol (maybe about 2 or 3 apples at most).