Abuse of Profile Status

I'm finding myself mildly irked by the abuse of the "status" feature to keep crankery on the forums' main page, i.e. in the "Recent Status Updates" section on the right side.

Do these statuses violate posting rules 8 or 10?

I don't think they are a violation, since those rules pertain to avoiding responses and posting in science sections, neither of which applies here.

But it is against the spirit of status updates. The function is not intended for material that should be discussed in the forums.

I think the Community Status Update is to let the membership know if there are major things happening to you that may affect your posting somehow. Like you're getting married, or changing jobs, or going on vacation. It's not really a discussion, and it's not your blog either.

Using it to post ideas you don't want challenged is cowardly. And I can't imagine anyone who is abusing their CSU would appreciate a bunch of negative responses to something in their profile.

We don't have any rules on this. It seems more like a breach of decorum, trying to be sneaky about supporting your most outlandish ideas.