Corpse Flower - NYBG

imatfaal

Turns out my NYC office has a membership of the Botanical Gardens (what sort of office ...?) and quite a few managed to get across to see it - "dreadful, but wouldn't have missed it for the world"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36929332

worth watching for the little girl with the shades and her description

Did the flower have the opportunity to be pollinated?

kudos to Marc - the Director of the Nolan Greenhouses at NYBG for replying; I am gonna take the liberty of posting his answer

The plant can be self pollinated but there is usually very few seeds that result if any. The best results come from pollinating from a different plant – due to the timing of our plant opening we couldn’t get pollen here in time to pollinate our plant. We will be harvesting pollen and sending it out to a couple of other plants that happen to be blooming around the US at the same moment in hopes that we can pollinate those and get some seeds to create another generation of Corpse Flowers for people to enjoy.

Many thanks Marc.

That's awesome, thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer my question. It's a pity their flower didn't get the chance, but at least it will still be able to contribute to the next generation of flowers. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.