Atoms in another dimension

James Dixon

I read some time back of two physicists observing an atom which they said kept disappearing and then would suddenly return to the exact place before it left, I can't remember the exact technical details nor did I really understand them but they agreed the atom was disappearing into a another dimension, if that is true and considering we are made of atoms does that mean we too will eventually go to another dimension, I've read that the after life is possibly just another dimension where all living things go after they leave their physical earthly bodies , after all, we all live in a three dimensional world so there must be other dimensions where nothing is physical but spiritual.

JUST A THOUGH, James Dixon.

Edited by James Dixon

I read some time back of two physicists observing an atom which they said kept disappearing and then would suddenly return to the exact place before it left, I can't remember the exact technical details nor did I really understand them but they agreed the atom was disappearing into a another dimension, if that is true and considering we are made of atoms does that mean we too will eventually go to another dimension, I've read that the after life is possibly just another dimension where all living things go after they leave their physical earthly bodies , after all, we all live in a three dimensional world so there must be other dimensions where nothing is physical but spiritual.

JUST A THOUGH, James Dixon.

A dimension isn't like another plane of existence. It's just representations of a coordinate system for locating an event in spacetime. With coordinates for x, y, z, and t, we can find a place and time when something happens.

Perhaps you're talking about the atom disappearing from 3D space into one of the hypothetical higher dimensions of string theory? As an analogy, in a 2D Flatland world, if an object moved upwards from the 2D plane, into a space requiring the 3rd dimension, it would seem to disappear to an observer in Flatland.

As for the spiritual aspect, I agree with ajb, it's not appropriate in the science sections, and there are more natural-based explanations if we entertain the existence of higher dimensions.

I'd like to see a link to what you read. AFAIK, String Theory fell out of favor partly because their was no evidence for higher dimensions.

As an analogy, in a 2D Flatland world, if an object moved upwards from the 2D plane, into a space requiring the 3rd dimension, it would seem to disappear to an observer in Flatland.

If I am in 3D application, working on 3D data,

but viewport is set to 2D,

It's orthographic view

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_projection

matrix is something like f.e.

Basically getting rid of Z (because of multiplication by 0).

Then any movement in Z-axis results in 3D object being still visible in 2D orthographic projection.. Just its X and Y components.. User cannot tell that movement in Z-axis has happened or not, or how far.

You made assumption that observer see just certain value of Z, f.e. 0 (and nothing but it), so when Z is incremented to 1 (or decremented to -1), observer cannot see it.

Typical projection from 3D to 2D does not work this way..

Edited by Sensei