Should all nations be ended?

marieltrokan

Do you think that all nations should be ended because of Emma Stone's performance in Irrational Man?

!

Moderator Note

This has become ridiculous.

If the next post is not coherent and sensible I will recommend to the other staff that we place you on the moderation list which will mean that your posts will not appear until approved. FYG this sort of post would not be approved and neither would many others of your streams of consciousness.

I think that all nations should unite.

On this point of view I was very happy with globalization. With the Internet also, with finding "friends" from all over the planet. It is so nice.

OTOH I was very unpleased when I saw that the tower of Babel still existed over the Net. I remember the joy of Russians when the Net offered Russian characters, russian domain names etc. and that dissapointed me tremendously. I had the feeling that humanity ad lost a gigantic opportunity to oblige everybody to speak the same language.To me, it is a crucial factor towards unification.

I think that all nations should unite.

On this point of view I was very happy with globalization.

Yes

With the Internet also, with finding "friends" from all over the planet. It is so nice.

Why "friends" and not friends; are they worth less or any less 'real' than ones you physically interact with? As time passes the virtual world is becoming increasingly part of the real world such that they will become indistinguishable. My own experience of online interactions is that they are every bit as real and visceral as my geographically close friends even though I may have not have met them physically. Having said that, I am not one to treat my online acquaintances as virtual, transient, disposable objects to be used for whatever purpose that suits my immediate whim, like some people do; I know it's a real person on the other end and will afford them the same respect - or, likewise, contempt - as if they were sitting next to me.

OTOH I was very unpleased when I saw that the tower of Babel still existed over the Net. I remember the joy of Russians when the Net offered Russian characters, russian domain names etc. and that dissapointed me tremendously. I had the feeling that humanity ad lost a gigantic opportunity to oblige everybody to speak the same language.To me, it is a crucial factor towards unification.

A common language may eventually still develop; don't forget, the internet is still only really a teenager in terms of it being widespread and technologically advanced enough to disseminate multimedia information suitable for the mass market.

Yes

Why "friends" and not friends; are they worth less or any less 'real' than ones you physically interact with? As time passes the virtual world is becoming increasingly part of the real world such that they will become indistinguishable. My own experience of online interactions is that they are every bit as real and visceral as my geographically close friends even though I may have not have met them physically. Having said that, I am not one to treat my online acquaintances as virtual, transient, disposable objects to be used for whatever purpose that suits my immediate whim, like some people do; I know it's a real person on the other end and will afford them the same respect - or, likewise, contempt - as if they were sitting next to me.

A common language may eventually still develop; don't forget, the internet is still only really a teenager in terms of it being widespread and technologically advanced enough to disseminate multimedia information suitable for the mass market.

Ok friend.

About the common language, yes for the part of the world to which we belong. Maybe. But there is a huge Internet that speaks Chinese, Japanese, Russian or many other languages (& surprisingly German) that exists in a parallel world.

Surely universal translators are more likely? Google translate already does a reasonable job, it can only get better. And once text based translation is improved work will progress on verbal based translations.

Surely universal translators are more likely? Google translate already does a reasonable job, it can only get better. And once text based translation is improved work will progress on verbal based translations.

That's true. One day, instant automatic spoken translation - - depending on your own language may become a mainstream native feature of internet life.

That's true. One day, instant automatic spoken translation - - depending on your own language may become a mainstream native feature of internet life.

And soon hopefully: being able to communicate online with people who speak another language and with different cultural perspectives would make the world a smaller place.

I wonder, will this be the first Star Trek technology to become common place?

And soon hopefully: being able to communicate online with people who speak another language and with different cultural perspectives would make the world a smaller place.

I wonder, will this be the first Star Trek technology to become common place?

Yes, it shouldn't be too far away.

Mobile phones were the first Star Trek technology to be realised. We just haven't got the "Beam me up, Scotty" bit yet. :)