What is the best form of contentment?

dimreepr

The person who drinks a bit too much and enjoys the odd spliff, but is content with the mortal consequences?

Or...

The person who centres their lives on healthy living and so forgoes some of its pleasures, but lives longer, but is content with that?

Edited by dimreepr

Contentment = Peace of mind = Freedom

Enjoyment - Excitement - Happiness are unsustainable emotional states; especially chemically induced ones.

There are no real substantive, enduring memories associated with being intoxicated. It's a temporary escapist respite from ones daily stresses that will return once the effects have warn off.

Edited by StringJunky

Contentment = Peace of mind = Freedom

Enjoyment - Excitement - Happiness are unsustainable emotional states; especially chemically induced ones.

There are no real substantive, enduring memories associated with with being intoxicated. It's a temporary escapist respite from ones daily stresses that will return once the effects have warn off.

The difference is subjective, a homeless guy who finds a bottle of vodka would be far more grateful, of that moment than a rich guy who’s free to do anything he wants.

The difference is subjective, a homeless guy who finds a bottle of vodka would be far more grateful, of that moment than a rich guy who’s free to do anything he wants.

The common bond between those two people is that neither are happy because, for different reasons, they have not completed, in essence, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs; they are unfulfilled.

maslow-pyramid.jpg

The homeless guy dreams about having what the rich guy has, but the rich guy knows he has chased a false dream and is likely disillusioned; take away the fancy stuff and he's just as poor philosophically and not self-actualised as the homeless guy.. The problem is that our world is set up to pursue material fulfillment and instant gratification as the top of the mountain; like lemmings running towards the unseen cliff. The unhappy, substance-using rich guy is one of those lemmings.

Edited by StringJunky

The common bond between those two people is that neither are happy because, for different reasons, they have not completed, in essence, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs; they are unfulfilled.

But that doesn’t mean they aren’t content; the five pillars of wisdom don't need to be understood for them to be followed.

But that doesn’t mean they aren’t content; the five pillars of wisdom don't need to be understood for them to be followed.

No, but they are missing one or more of them, knowing it or not. This is the question: can one be considered to be a contented happy person only when one is out of ones face?

No, but they are missing one or more of them, knowing it or not. This is the question: can one be considered to be a contented happy person only when one is out of ones face?

The question should be, can one be content now (Happy or sad/informed or not)?

Edited by dimreepr

You don't have to be happy to be content, have you never felt the pleasure of being miserable?

I suppose, it is better to feel something rather than nothing; nothing is worse than feeling nothing. A bit like: It is better (to some) to be ridiculed than ignored; they crave attention.

Edited by StringJunky

For me, being content is to laugh at the ridicule or ignore the attention.

Indeed, It not unknown for me to look the perpetrator in the eyes and say "I resemble that remark!". Humorous Indifference is a good skill to acquire to protect yourself in socially adverse circumstances; being deaf I learned this quite quickly Kids are horrible. :)

For me, being content is to laugh at the ridicule or ignore the attention.

I feel/think nothing much for large parts of the day (depending on the day).

That' probably because you are doing the same thing, the same way, everyday. You've become hardwired to a certain way of thinking and behaving. and so it has no novelty value; one day blurs into the next just the same as the day before. We all need some routine but try and do or think differently, in some way, everyday. When people say: "Where has all that time gone?" Everyday was the same, so life just seemed like one day, subjectively. Your mind will cast back to the nearest memorable day that was different . Very often, that different day was months or even years ago.

The answer is to consciously and proactively punctuate your routine with novel, enjoyablememorable experiences; no matter how small. Embrace not being the same all the the time.

Shake it up. :)

Edited by StringJunky

That' probably because you are doing the same thing, the same way, everyday. You've become hardwired to a certain way of thinking and behaving. and so it has no novelty value; one day blurs into the next just the same as the day before. We all need some routine but try and do or think differently, in some way, everyday. When people say: "Where has all that time gone?" Everyday was the same, so life just seemed like one day, subjectively. Your mind will cast back to the nearest memorable day that was different . Very often, that different day was months or even years ago.

The answer is to consciously and proactively punctuate your routine with novel, enjoyablememorable experiences; no matter how small. Embrace not being the same all the the time.

Shake it up. :)

I’m not suggesting that’s not excellent advice for anyone, in a rut, that’s not content, but:

I’m content to wait for a novel, enjoyable or memorable experience to find me, I’ll enjoy it then, why would I want to chase what I’ll, nevertheless, find?

There’s much to be said about the benefits of doing and thinking nothing (meditation) when there’s nothing to do or think about.

Edited by dimreepr

There’s much to be said about the benefits of doing and thinking nothing (meditation) when there’s nothing to do or think about.

I misinterpreted what you said as something you felt was a negative in your life. There is much to be said for being mindfully passive and just let it all pass through you. It's all about achieving a manageable balance between all states which, I suppose, is what contentment is; balance or equilibrium.

Just being is all the balance we need; does a lion care it I call it names for sleeping 18 hours a day?

If you want to get totally Buddhist.

does a lion care it I call it names for sleeping 18 hours a day?

If you want to be a lion don't let me stop you. You are the only judge of yourself that matters.

If you want to be a lion don't let me stop you.

Thank you but I don’t, I do like my steak rare but it has to be cooked, nor do I sleep 18 hrs a day (tho I did recently build a wall and just got paid, I’m treating myself to a fat one so maybe tonight :):mellow:).

If you want to get totally Buddhist.

I'm not a Buddhist I'm a meist although I think he would've got me ;)

Edited by dimreepr

Being content is a neutral state, enjoyment is a positive one, so why limit the latter to extend the former?

Oh, i see.

I've met many people who live the hedonistic life and seem very unhappy: but i have met others who are quite content with this lifestyle. I have also met many people who have lived the slower life: some content, others not.

So it seems to depend on the individual.

But there does seem to be a renaissance of hedonism in the Western world - i guess it helps the rich get richer - such that there is little alternative. If we are reared to believe stuff makes us happy then that will be the prevailing view. This might be suitable for a few people, but many others will be left to live in a manner not conducive to their happiness.

Oh, i see.

I've met many people who live the hedonistic life and seem very unhappy: but i have met others who are quite content with this lifestyle. I have also met many people who have lived the slower life: some content, others not.

So it seems to depend on the individual.

But there does seem to be a renaissance of hedonism in the Western world - i guess it helps the rich get richer - such that there is little alternative. If we are reared to believe stuff makes us happy then that will be the prevailing view. This might be suitable for a few people, but many others will be left to live in a manner not conducive to their happiness.

It depends on the individual’s attitude.

Trying to fill one’s life with pleasure only leads to misery; an unexpected pleasure in an otherwise dull year is so much better than an expected pleasure in an otherwise dull day; the best holiday of my life (in a tent, April and it rained) was the one I knew nothing about until I got there.

Imagine the same family in the following scenarios:

They work hard all year to almost afford the two week holiday abroad(a small loan over 2 years), they booked it 9 mnths ago.

When they get there the locations over 2 miles from the beach and a little run down, there’s cockroaches in the kitchen and the beddings stained with god knows what.

They work hard all year just to keep what they’ve got, then one morning they get a tax rebate; a couple of phone calls and a 3 hr car ride later, they’re looking around the room they booked for 3 days at Butlins.

It depends on the individual’s attitude.

Trying to fill one’s life with pleasure only leads to misery; an unexpected pleasure in an otherwise dull year is so much better than an expected pleasure in an otherwise dull day; the best holiday of my life (in a tent, April and it rained) was the one I knew nothing about until I got there.

For you Some like predictability and some like to take a chance and see what turns up; neither are wrong.

For you Some like predictability and some like to take a chance and see what turns up; neither are wrong.

The caveat being you can't predict the future.

We all like routine in some form or another but it will always be broken (on a scale from minor distractions to changed forever); enjoy your routine while you can.

Both families can enjoy their holidays (I know which is most likely too) but at what cost and not how much money they spent?

Edited by dimreepr

The caveat being you can't predict the future.

You can't predict the future but should you risk waiting for that desire to arrive or should you go and look for it?

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

Time - Pink Floyd.

There’s nothing wrong in planning a holiday just book one in budget and accept what you find rather than demand what you predicted.

Enjoyment’s shy, chase it and it becomes elusive, the trick is let it come to you.

Edited by dimreepr