Can carbon form a circular double-bond structure on its own?

dakoad

Hello!

I was wondering if there exists a form of arrangement of carbon atoms, where it is in a circle with double bonds at both sides of every C atom. Basically, something like a benzene ring, but each C atom, instead of forming 3 bonds with other carbons and 1 with hydrogen, forms a C=C bond on each side of it.

Thank you,

Daniel.

I assume you mean something like this?

post-35291-0-98874900-1457472758_thumb.png

H-C=C=C-H is a known compound, but you couldn't form a six-membered ring of only C=C=C... You have to consider the presence of pi bonds and what that does to the geometry of the carbons. For example, allene:

post-35291-0-05396700-1457472344.png

(Image from http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Organic_Chemistry/Organic_Chemistry_With_a_Biological_Emphasis/Solution_Manual/Chapter_01_Solutions )

As you can see, the central carbon has two pi bonds, one extending to one carbon along the z axis and the other to the second bonded carbon along the y axis. The overall affect of this is that the geometry becomes locked in place and the C-C-C angle has to be 180o. You could never form a ring from cumulated polyenes like this simply because you'd be placing too much angular strain on the bonds and the geometry doesn't allow it.

If the ring was big enough the bending strain might not be an insurmountable hurdle.

But there would be no credible way to synthesise it.

I was thinking this as I wrote my post. I would imagine it would have to be quite big, though I'm not familiar with exactly how distorted such an arrangement could get before it cracked.

I assume you mean something like this?

attachicon.gifimage.png

H-C=C=C-H is a known compound, but you couldn't form a six-membered ring of only C=C=C... You have to consider the presence of pi bonds and what that does to the geometry of the carbons. For example, allene:

attachicon.gifimage.png

(Image from http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Organic_Chemistry/Organic_Chemistry_With_a_Biological_Emphasis/Solution_Manual/Chapter_01_Solutions )

As you can see, the central carbon has two pi bonds, one extending to one carbon along the z axis and the other to the second bonded carbon along the y axis. The overall affect of this is that the geometry becomes locked in place and the C-C-C angle has to be 180o. You could never form a ring from cumulated polyenes like this simply because you'd be placing too much angular strain on the bonds and the geometry doesn't allow it.

I just scrolled down and saw "I suppose you mean something like this" and saw the cyclohexane and just cracked up